dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Determining Costs

Determining Costs

Do you charge by hour, or by how much content there is? Right now I am wondering how I should charge and would like some feedback
    Thenks, Matt Rousey - CEO Flash Studio

Developer
    cost = (time) * (money);

There are no base averages... what you charge is based upon a business plan model and what rates are acceptable for you to meet your goals/expectations.

yeah, I agree with g_solo, it's definitely time

but it can be hard to know what rate to charge.

while it's great to price based on your goals/expectations, it's a tragedy to leave money on the table because you bid lower than the going rate (I think all of us would rather live high given the chance.)

Personally, my goal is to drive a ferrari and my expectation is that it happen today. Unfortunately, my clients are too timid to support this.

I've found that local art temp agencies can be a good resource for teasing out the current going price/hr for flash work -- sometimes they'll post a rate along with a particular assignment. This gives you a pretty good idea what a client in a given industry will pay. Keep in mind that many temp agencies are adding as much as 30% on top of that rate to act as the middleman. And if you've combed the locals and not found too much, expand your search and find as many posted rates as you can, but keep cost-of-living issues in mind.

find enough posted rates on work-for-hire and you have a pretty good idea of what your market will bear.

then make your bid based on that rate... and always always add half again as much time as you honestly believe it will take.
    BINKY

-- god is in the details, sure, but what kind of god? --

www.rickmu.com

Originally posted by gSOLO_01
    cost = (time) * (money);

There are no base averages... what you charge is based upon a business plan model and what rates are acceptable for you to meet your goals/expectations.
    overheads such as electricity, staff, office rent and rates are also a factor
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

Developer
    Originally posted by swampy
    overheads such as electricity, staff, office rent and rates are also a factor
    yea, that was just a generic reply... it's more complicated than that.

Utilities (Telephone, Electric, Gas, etc.)
    Mortgage / Rent
    Cable
    Food
    Loans
    Transportation
    Entertainment
    Health Insurance
    Life Insurance
    Home Owner's Insurance
    Advertising / Marketing
    Licenses
    Office Supplies
    Memberships
    Taxes

Once you have what your what all of your monthly expenses will be, you need to figure out how much income you need to bring in [or want to bring in if this is just a side job].

Do you have to have a license to do flash work?

Originally posted by mattrousey
    Do you have to have a license to do flash work?
    well yes... software license!

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    I'll take the liberty of posting a recent article by me and a great article that Scott Manning wrote. I think they both may be helpful.

http://www.matbastian.com/pages/websitepricing.html

http://www.scottmanning.com/archives/00000013.php