A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: To all the FK pros out there...

To all the FK pros out there...

Hello all, I'm getting ready to graduate from college tomorrow and soon I'll be out among the professional world (at least I hope so ). During the past 4 years I've done all my design work here on campus in the computer labs and believe it or not, I've never owned my own computer before.

Very soon I plan to get one so that I can work on my own at home. I'm just curious to know, what kind of machine are you guys using?

a few macs (powerbook and two towers). congratulations and good luck.

Thanks

Yeah, I've been reading one of those Mac vs. PC threads on another FK forum. I'd love to get a nice G4, but since I'm just a po' college student I think I'll probably just get a powerful PC. Seems to me you can get something close to as fast as a top-end Mac for much less money in a PC. Maybe sometime down the road, I'll get cash for a nice Mac. Uh-oh, I hope this doesn't turn into another platform debate. Anyways...

Thanks and keep 'em comin'. Also, if you wouldn't listing some of the specs as well, I'd really appreciate it.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    in fact you really do not need that much of a machine for the majority of the work (thats our case at least).

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar

super-senior member
    get a Mac
    they aren't that pricey when you compare same quality in the pc world -- maybe you pay like 400 usd more but then you have the BIG benefit that the OS is tailormade for the hardware.

bought my first mac in '95 - used it until 2000- bought a peecee because the same reason you are mentioning ... and at the end of the trip the peecee turned out almost as expensive as a Mac- bought a Mac last feb again and i know for shure that i will never switch again- never

sven
    -----------------------------
    © year 1974

I would say go with a custom built Dell (www.dell.com). They're inexpensive and good quality (mine, at least, has never crashed in 3 years now). And you get good performance for your money.

you can also buy a lot of older model macs that are still brand-new, in box for ridiculous deals on sites like outpost.com.

for example, you can buy a 2001 model G4 dually 867 with 512 of memory and a printer for $1694. helluva deal if you ask me, and then you have 3 pci slots, your firewire card is already installed, and you can fly through OS X.

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Macs are grand. I love my Apple G4!

I think what computer you get depends on how extensive you are getting in design. If you're sticking with Flash, Photoshop, and a vector program, a standard PC is suitable. I wouldn't even bother to get a Mac at that point. It's when you get into motion graphics where the power of the Apple comes in handy. However, recent benchmarking tests have made me reassess the power of the Apple G4 in comparison to AMD and Pentiums.

But you prolly already knew that. I guess I'm just reiterating it.

Originally posted by sbi444
    Seems to me you can get something close to as fast as a top-end Mac for much less money in a PC.[/B]
    If you do not rely on Microsoft, you can use a different OS for the peecee (at a lower price)
    Also note that mac osx and the pc alternates happen to have the same ancestors, and share some features like system stability and virus resistance

Musicman

Short term: you could ask your uni's IT department if they are selling any machines (PC) this year -- most universities upgrade their machines and before they can do, they have to "get rid" of the current systems.

This is usually first come, first served basis and usually limited to staff and students.

I remember -- last year, my old uni was selling computers -- if I remember correctly -- for £150 -- 15" monitor, Pentium II 233MMX, network card, etc... You may upgrade it for your own needs (e.g. modem, better video card, software, etc.).

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with Dell -- we have Dell machines at work and we had one too many problems with them but that's up to you.

A few months ago, a friend of mine brought a Time AMD Althon 1.8+ with high-end components with WinXP installed for £1,000 -- not too bad considering it had the most powerful video card, huge HDD, 17" monitor, etc....

I used my own PIII450 at university but on graduation, I managed to upgrade the video card, RAM, motherboard, CPU (AMD Althon 1.6+), heatsink etc. at just under £300 and now it is blinding fast for 3D games and Flash, Photoshop, design, etc. work. So you don't really need a Althon 2.2+ or a P4 whatever.

<sigh> I better stop writing. Hope this helps and btw, congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of work.

You might try a computer trade show. I've never used them personally, but I got a call yesterday from the music minister at our church. He was at the local "colliseum" and wanted me to approve the specs/price of a pc he was buying...get this:

512 MB RAM
    80 GB HD
    DVD Drive
    CD-RW Drive (don't remember speed)
    2.4 Ghz P4
    MSI Motherboard
    Sony 17 inch lcd flat screen monitor.

Here's the clincher....it only ran him 1100. They built it on the spot.

Now I don't know how it will turn out for him, but these were all name brand parts....I don't understand how this place can make MONEY selling computers for this low of cost.

Like I said...never done it personally, but if what he told me is true...you can get some good prices.

Clif

I agree, Clif -- a friend mentioned the other day that he saw in a computer mag where an editor pointed out that you could get a 1.2GHz P4 for £399 (the guy saw it last week).

It does not sound too bad.

Wow, I didn't expect so many replies. Thank you all so much for your suggestions. Funny you should mention Dell, Subway... I already looked into getting one online a few days ago and actually put together a really sweet system for around $2000 until I found out the next day that the offer they had going had expired the previous day. I'm kicking myself now for not ordering it when I had the chance.

I really love Macs and the Mac OS, but I think I'm gonna get a PC. Not only is it less expensive, but I've never really done much graphics work with PCs, so I think it would benefit me to learn and improve my flexibility between the two.

Thanks for the article, serpent star, it sounds like a great idea. But I gotta say, the thought of building a computer myself is a little intimidating, since I wouldn't know where to start. I'm gonna read up some more on it and see if that's something I could do.

Thanks again for all your help and any other advice would be much appreciated.

finky fonk
    Originally posted by sbi444

I really love Macs and the Mac OS, but I think I'm gonna get a PC. Not only is it less expensive, but I've never really done much graphics work with PCs, so I think it would benefit me to learn and improve my flexibility between the two.
    ......i think you have the right idea there, although most of my work is done on a mac we have a couple of powerful PC's in the studio and the ability to be comfortable on both platforms gives you more flexibility.

good luck with the outside
    http://www.20three.com