A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My corporate website - learn from it

Innovative Design

Ok Ok...

Listen Lozer. 1- Your hompage in your profile contains flash
    2- Finals in a 2002 web competition (for 10 Year olds?)
    3- Macromedia Flash Plug-in Is free.
    4- Your site Sux.
    5- Im 15 and I can do better.
    6- Your wasting money on your domain, the site sux.
    7- Oh and Your buttons are flash, Theyre default
    buttons from dreamweaver.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________ www.idjt.8m.com\site\waterworx.html
    Last edited by Yazan24; 12-14-2002 at 10:25 AM.

"modern design"?
    bollocks.
    modern design IS flash. and the only flash you have is ****ty default buttons that arent even dont right. Oh i just LOVE your use of 3 frame animated gifs, they look so good im tempted to use them myself.

forever depreciated™ aaron.martone's Avatar
    Originally posted by sgbfree
    The main point of a website is to get content straight across to the user - and if it looks good then that's a bonus. Whatever some of you are saying - my site does load very fast, no Loading signs - and it does look good: it is in the finals for a 2002 website award.

My site has a modern design and those of you who have critised it should surf more and learn their trade.

I could do Flash sites as good as an shown in the Featured section but I don't because Flash doesn't work on most machines (FACT) and very expensive (FAVT) - I mean which everyday website user is going to buy an expensive package like Macromedia Flash just to see someone's animation on a website?
    SGBFREE-

Sorry to say this man, and we're not saying this out of cruelty, though you did start a thread with a rather "I'm greater than thou" attitude.

Your site is just very ugly. Simply put. I can't really tell if it loads THAT fast since I have cable and most all sites come in under 3-5 seconds for me. I'm also not sure what this 2002 web award is (whatever it is, I wish ya the best of luck in, but it's definitely not a well known award, aka, Flash Kit's Site of the Day or a FlashForward 2002 finalist award. Those are reknowned by webmasters because of their publicity and popularity.

You're correct when you say the main point of a website is to get the content to the user. However, as a new media developer, you need to do so in order that all aspects of the site push the boundaries of the normal everyday website visit. Graphically your site is rather sub par, with heavy drop shadows, beveled effects and what not. There is no theme or strong color tie ins, alignment is off, Navigation is too linear and a multitude of other problems.

I dont want to toot my horn, but MY website has a modern design to it. It's sharp, crisp, with defined areas for content, flash and navigation. Art is a thing of beauty, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder; But as hard as I try, I couldn't see (being a customer) paying any more than $100 for a site of your caliber.

Flash is used by over 414 MILLION internet users worldwide, and 92% of browsers today have Flash installed on it (it may not be the latest version, but Flash is installed nonetheless) Also, your website visitors are not supposed to BUY the Flash Authoring Tool. They use their browsers free plugin version.

Flash sites are more expensive (which if you do flash well, is a good thing for a web developer), of course, because they allow highly animated, interactive movies on your website.

Props to HTML, we still need it until XHTML/XML overrides it someways down the future, but right now Flash is riding atop the waves, and nothing even comes close to it.

Next time, ask for our opinions, and well let you know them; don't come in here with that attitude again though, or you should expect to get flamed again.
    (am)™ :: aaron.martone ::
    http://www.aaronmartone.com

"I see in layers; I think in ActionScript; Life is my animation and animation is my life.... oh, and I like corn dogs."

This guy is obviously a complete loser, playing a joke, or 6 years old.
    If you are 6, get off your daddy's computer.

Now everyone should stop wasting time on this loser and comment on a site that someone spent some real time on.
    There are many posts worthy of 20 replies but as of right now have one or two.

If you are reading this thread (yes it is interesting, sort of like watching a car crash) it has already been said so go post a reply to a thread that has fewer than 3.
    Do not continue this thread!

i think someone needs to rethink the flash thing, dude your site sucks so much, i didn't even bother to click buttons, dude we live in 2002, if you don't know how to use flash you got no hope, check the web recently, when you do report back and tell me how many sites use flash. It sucks to be blunt.

Loo ho... seh herr.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

You notice that there have been no replies back from the original author. Says alot.
    They say that time will make this all go away, but it is time that has taken my tommorows and made them into yesturdays.

www.ijustworkhere.co.uk

This my second reply now, so I suggest you should have a look at t..... I'll stop there. I'm starting to feel guilty! This isn't me!!

OK, I've got an apology to make. It WAS a joke.

I'm sorry, if I've wound some of you up.

The worrying thing is that there ARE people like my 'character' out there designing websites for people - and giving us web designers a bad name.

Only the other day, I was out drinking and mentioned that I was a web-designer and I got the reply that ANYONE could do it. There are so many 'Webpages made easy' type mags out that people are beginning to believe that they can do it themselves...

But we know most can't - and I provided an example.

you manky scots git!!! Flashlor's Avatar
    Genuine apology or backtracking? Give us an example of your REAL work please.
    We're all here to do what we're all here to do.

Originally posted by Flashlor
    Genuine apology or backtracking? Give us an example of your REAL work please.
    Click his website button (the www button next to profile, aim and the such) - it's an overall ok website.

Sgbfree - think before you post. Making fun of people is, indeed, fun, but make sure it isn't rude or too arrogant.
    hello.

The site was done by someone I used to work for - I basically para-phrased what he said to me.

I like your website. I think that you are a very talented person. Good job and keep up the good work. I hope to see more of yours soon.

Re: reply

Originally posted by cembert
    Maybe there is a new trend taking place before our eyes. The exploration and innovation of many a flash designer has been replaced, what was once old is new again. Ladies and Gentlemen....I present the late 80's web theme.....Yes it's back and better than ever. Rainbow buttons with extra large bevels.....Shadows so rich and dark........Text so blurry, it hurts.........gif animations straight outta of clipart.com....fake metallic buttons, we love to hate......and yes, Javascript for Netscape, that browser blast from the past. This guy may be on to something.......
    I agree wholeheartedly. If some artists these days can start using those 80's beat and style, why can't web designers backtrack to the 80s? If there are classics in music, why can't we backtrack to it in the web-design field?

the shoeless designer Barefoot Kid's Avatar
    ya didnt get me....i knew it was a hoax...honest

you want to make a statement like your first thread?
    then let me give it to you straight
    your site s*cks!!!!

5 years in webdesign have done nothing for you.....
    DOUBLE BACON BURGER DOG

It may be easy to make web sites now, but do people really care about buttons and text really anymore?

You basically got to be a designer, programmer and artist all in one. People want interactivity and games, something to keep them occupied when going on a site. Nice transitions and eye catching graphics. So what i'm trying to say is that it is easy to MAKE a web site but for it to be LIKED is another matter alltogether.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

->

...Huston we have a lift up...
    Last edited by [D]e_LeTe[GR]; 12-20-2002 at 03:23 AM.

T H E | E X T R A T E R R E S T R I A L | F L Y
    _______________________________________|

I hope this is a joke

Ok I myself and an amatuer web designer, but I know good design when I see it. When I first read what you posted I thought hmmm... maybe I can learn something and I was right. That either this is a joke or you haven't been on the web in about 15 years. First off if your going to go with a html site use DHTML. This way you can have a decent look. Second what were you thinking, cheep photoshop filters are not the way to go in any design. Try actually putting some work into a page. I used cheep photoshop filters before I ever learned anything about photoshop. Oh that was highschool. Oh and check out some of these guys sites. Yours shouldn't even be on the web

->

Originally posted by Gloomycus
    yeah because the plugin used to view the flash content on a website is free for download from macromedia's website. the viewer doesn't have to buy anything. also, look on macromedia's website, almost every internet capable computer has the flash plugin on it.
    these and many more...

T H E | E X T R A T E R R E S T R I A L | F L Y
    _______________________________________|

no comments

I found these 3 links ....

links removed by mod

you've been told twice already that the images contained in those links are not suitable for this, g-rated, site. Post them again and your membership will be withdrawn.
    Last edited by aversion; 12-21-2002 at 03:49 PM.