A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Loading swf with dunamic text box..

Loading swf with dunamic text box..

I've created seperate swf's to be loaded into a movie. Each swf containts a dynamic text box. I can get the swf's to load but the dynamic text won't load. What am I doing wrong??

what do you mean?
    if you have a text box in the swf, if it is there, it should appear.

do you load it behind a mask or rotate it or...?

can you upload the flas?

When I test the individual swf's the text shows up fine. It's when I load the swf's into my main movie the text doesn't show up. I have the site set up in individual swfs so as to keep the file size down. I'm not rotating it or loading it behind a mask.

perhaps you referred to your textfields using absolute referencing. for example, in your individual swfs, you assign text to the textfields using "_root.text1.text="something"", and it works when you test this. then you load this into another movie. now, this may not work cos the _root now refers to that new movie.

path problem

the way i see it you have a path problem, 'cause if the external swf works fine when tested and then inside the main movie it doesn't it's because you have to load the dynamic text into the swf in the main movie.

for example if the empty movieclip you use as the holder for the external swf's to load into the main movie is named "holder" and in the external swf file you have a movie clip named "text" in which you have the text box inside you should put the code of the dynamic text as this:

loadVariables("yourfile.txt", "_root.holder.text");

if in the external swf you have the text box placed right into the root of this movie then it should look like this:

loadVariables("repdom01.txt", "_root.holder");

in resume when using variables and paths inside an external swf to make it work from the main movie you have to specify the entire path.