A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: curveTo

curveTo

Hey all, just looking for some direction here.

I am working on a driving game, and the part in question here is how I am going to animate the road. It is a first person perspective, and I would like the player to see the road curving in front of him.

I figure I have two choices, either create a movie clip which contains a bunch of different views of the road, from straight and then a bunch of different frames which show varying degrees of curves left and right, and I can just instruct the clip to show a different frame whenever I want to curve.

OR

I can create a loop which uses curveTo. I am a bit foggy on this one. Is curveTo only used for drawing a line? Or can I use curveTo to curve an existing object? This would seem to be the preferable method as the curve of the road would look more smooth.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Ron
    ronthema

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    curveTo is only for drawing, not manipulating what already exists. You could draw the entire road with curveto if you wanted, though that might get a little tricky.

curveTos basically just draws a curved line between 2 points. The line thickness can be determined in code as well as whether or not a fill is created from those lines.