A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: second site, check, price?

second site, check, price?

I originally posted this in the swish site check forum.
    They told me to come here. I think I might get thrashed here.
    Because this site is all swish posted on dreamweaver backdrop.
    It looks like people here are flash pros.

Anyway this is only my second site and I'm not sure what to charge.
    I can't say by the hour cause I changed it a million times.
    Some of the stuff may look familiar because I looked at a bunch of different sites that one competitions, and used some ideas from them.
    I still think I made it my own though.

All right bring it on.

www.gsautomation.biz

The Minister of No Crap

I'm not sure why they sent you here. It's not that I think your site is no good. On the contrary, I think it is very good. But it is impossible to look at a site and tell you what you should charge.

Check out this article:
    "How much does a website cost?"

-scott

Banned
    Regardless of flash or swish it is obvious that the site has taken a hell of alot of work to create. Over my years of doing web work the only thing I can tell you is to make it worth your while. How much time, days, weeks, or months did you spend on this. How much is your time woth to you?

Being your first web site or so I know there were a ton of changes for you personally just to feel good about it. So some of those hours you take off. But the majority should be counted. What is it worth? Well lets see, what are your eyes worth to you, every hour you spend starring at that monitor, takes away from your eyes, could probably take ten , twenty years or so, but when we get old we will definatly be lined up in the caterax office.

What is your education worth to you? Did you goto school to be a designer? Did you goto school to be a programmer? What are your monthly payments? What are the years you spent getting this education worth to you?

All these factor in to the scenerio, and many more. Current rate for flash work, $100.00(US) or so a hour. Cut em a brake cause your a newbie, so say 50.00 and hour. Add em up and charge accordingly.

Check market values, and don't sell your self short. people pray on young guys just getting started because they know they will get work done cheap. Don't get taken advantage of.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Looks pretty tight. Nice job. It is tough to figure out how much to charge. Check out this article that touches on the subject of website pricing and how much to charge....

Good luck to you.

-Mat

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    I cannot see it
    *explorer, PC

Corporate Nose-Picker
    oh no! More 2advanced.com moving clouds!!!!

Seriously, if you hit "skip intro", go straight to the page, with navigation and all, not a "we welcome you bla bla bla" message. We designers will endure to get to the actual site, but will your potential clients??? If you need to load your homepage, slim it down so it doesn't take so long.

Otherwise, an ok site, overall gray doesn't appeal to me...but then, who am I?

off topic...
    Makes me wonder if I should change my domain to .biz, I got .tv on mine and I really regret it, always get strange looks from people.
    Of course I'm the man for the job! What is the job, by the way?

No. 27
    I am a newcomer to this scene too, I am a student and do Flash work part - time. I am always hazy about what to ask clients, and in the end up getting ( what I feel is ) a raw deal.

I have posted some work on fk, the one that always seems to get me clients is the dyna 3D engine.

If the pros can give some real numbers, i would be so greatful. Like for example, a client recently asked me to make some changes to the engine for his site. The changes took me something like 3-4 hours to implement. What do you suggest i charge him?
    God Bless me.

Sameer

Fire torpedos Captain!
    Depends how long it took to make it...if it took you forever, then you should be paid a good price. Don't be afraid to charge $600 or even $1000. Most websites run a good price, this one I designed for free and it's very advanced [ newsbyteens.com ] and it would have run more than $3000 had I been paid. Of course it wouldn't have been there if he had to pay me that much :P

If I built that site, which I couldn't even though it doesn't appeal to me, would be probably: ...$700 But if it took more than a month, I'd go into the 1k's.

Kamran A
    Web Developer and Designer
    ----
    Currently: PIII 700Mhz, 512MB SDRAM, 60GB Hard Drive, Maxi Gamer Cougar 32MB Video, SB Live! X-Gamer
    ----
    Coming: AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73Ghz, 256MB PC2100 (266Mhz) DDR x2, nForce2 Chipset (DualDDR), ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB AGP 8x, Soundstorm Digital (Dolby 5.1), 80GB HD, Acer 48x16x48 CD-RW

you know, earlier this year the Wall Street Journal $28,000,000 dollars for their website. HP reportedly spent in the "Tens of millions" on thiers. Joe Dumass on FK may have been part of those multi million dallar projects, or may be doing sites free of charge in his spare time as a hobby cause he loves it so much.

Please refrain from suggesting actual monetary values of websites as it is unproductive and brushes closely against the boundries of antitrust, and many of the FK mods have stated this.

I know it's frustrating to not be able to communicate openly about issues of price, and being forced to use cryptic suggestions as a means of answering a question with a question is honestly just about the best we can do. I hope you understand where I'm coming from here.

Good Luck on your pricing decision.

Banned
    Serpenstar....

Do the words shut up mean anything?

Originally posted by _currentframe
    Serpenstar....

Why was that necessary?

No. 27
    ummm... okay, but i'm still hazy. are there any more articles on the web about pricing, flash pricing in particular?
    God Bless me.

Sameer

Originally posted by _currentframe
    Serpenstar....

If you had your email address available, I would have adressed this privately with you, however this seems to be the next appropriate thing.

This is a community forum to discuss topics in a civil manner. There is no value to this thoughtless remark, and I find it pretty offensive, as well as others who have emailed me about your post.
    Your comments are welcome here, but please keep from berating other members with them.

And as regular users of this forum know, we tend to steer clear of pricing work up, only you yourself can put a value on it.
    Living the dream

Just some advice on the orgional post....

My only recomendation is speed up the process to get in... if i click skip intro i want to go right in... i had to wait through more whiz bang stuff and loaders... so naturally i gave up and left.. i'm sure the rest of the site is good.

I think quite apart from the ethics which can be debated, simply with regards to differing combinations of...

overheads...
    company size...
    experience...
    ability...
    education...
    personal desires...
    client worth...
    general client relationship...

...that each and everyone of us has, it is impossible to state any actual price that could realistically be used by anyone else.
    Common sense should suggest this.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!