dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Nedd help: Designing for Plasma Video screens

Nedd help: Designing for Plasma Video screens

Hey all,

I need to design a flash piece that will run on widescreen (16:9)pioneer plasma screens for a show early next year.

Here is my question:

What resolution and frame rate do you seasoned users think I should be using for these widescreens?
    Is there a certain resolution that I can go up to before flash starts to lag in playback?

I was told that the plasma screens are native 1280x768 resolution.

Should I design at this resolution or would that be overkill and will playback performance suffer?

I am doing this in Flash because it needs to be interactive otherwise I would just use video.

Thanks!

-Bill D.

Playback lag has less to do with size and more to do with the amount of action you have going on at once....moving large raster images...changing masks on them...or LOTS of movement at once will cause you to bog down....but if you guys run this on a high end box (ie P4 2Ghz+) with nothing else running you shouldn't have a problem.

On the front end try to use little CPU saving tricks like use Tint or Brightness shifts when you can...Alpha shifts are more CPU intensive.....

Little things like that will help in the long run....I'd build at full resolution for the sake of the image quality.

Another thing...I'd be aware that fast moving objects sometimes leave artifacts or video echo on some plasma screen...you might want to test some things on those screens first.

Hey thanx,

I do plan to have a constantly moving looped background playing while I bring up 1 or 2 words (names) on screen at touch of the space bar.

So you suggest designing at full resolution?
    You dont think it would scale well if I design at lower rez even though I am using mostly vector?

I'm not an authority on this..but I think that flash is having to do just as much work at any resolution when it comes to vector..perhaps even more if it has to do the scaling calcs in addition to the reg ones ....

Again...the processor is eaten up by the actual motion..not the size of things....and this is true MORESO with vector art....I'd bet that it's nearly the same cycle cost to move a 40pixel box across the screen as a 400 pixel box.