dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Broadband - what skills do web designers need?

Broadband - what skills do web designers need?

Hi,

I live in the UK where the take-up of broadband is on the up all the time - I am not one of them who has the latest connection speed!

To keep pace with this technological improvement, I was just wondering what skills web designers (over and above PS, Flash, Dreamweaver) will need as and when we all have access to broadband?

I apologise in advance, as this must be a question that has been posed several times before?

Jged

mullet king
    What do you mean things like 3d?

I didnt know you needed any specific skills for broadband... are you talking about what broadband allows you to do, i.e. larger file sizes?

I would say less skills (if I understand your question correctly). It's harder to make something spectacular with the totalfilesize in the back of your mind compared to 'unlimited' filesize, I suppose.
    "He that boasts of his own knowledge proclaims his ignorance" - ?

definatly less skills considering you can slack on optimizing and such..not that i would do that but broadband is just how fast your connected to the internet

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I have seen quite a few videos on broadband, which worked brillaintly. I was just wondering if all sites are likely to become video-based, and in which case designers will need to move with the times and learn all the software packages (not sure which ones these will be though)?

If looking at it from a company/marketing perspective, there is surely no better way of presenting a product or service than simply a few flat images and occasional flash animation?

Jged

I think you need to look at it more from the point of view of what you want to make a site do instead of what broadband allows you to do. Not all sites (google, dictionary.com, etc.) would necessarily benefit from being jazzed up with "high-bandwidth" technology. If you want to do sites that are information/news driven, work on your database (SQL, etc.) and dynamic page (ASP/PHP/JSP) skills. If you want to do game sites, work on Flash and/or Director. If you want to do sites that are artistically driven, work on your art.

If you do want to do video heavy sites, then I'd start by learning about basic video editing (and not necessarily anything to do with video on the web). Once you feel comfortable working with video in general from an "artistic" standpoint, start learning video for the web. As someone who started web development on the technical end and then had to go back and learn design, I wish I could have done it the other way.

My $.02,
    -monster.

Re: Broadband - what skills do web designers need?

Originally posted by Jged
    Broadband - what skills do web designers need?
    MAD SKILLZ!