A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dumb hardware problems again

raising hell to the next level

dumb hardware problems again

I am trying to replace my old mother board which was a pentium celeron 400 with a brand new p4 mother board and processor. the mother board i bought says that is supports pc100 SDRam but, when i connect every thing it give me a sequence of error beeps on boot up[nothing happends just the beeps] 2-8 beeps! i looked it up and is for bad memory. i unpluged all the adapters and IDEs and still get the beeps with just the processor and memory module installed...

do i really need DDRRam??? does any one have a clue???

mullet king
    Have you reset the bios by unpluggin one of the jumpers?

johnhadtobanme-myfault . You won this time john, next time ill hit the button. GMF
    tell me the model number and manufacturer of you rnew p4 board.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Make positively sure your RAM is properly seated in the socket before you try anything else.

i have tried resetting the bios, made sure that RAM is installed correctly. still no dice.

this is the motherboard i have...

http://www.accubyte.com/applications...?sku=amp-930lr

johnhadtobanme-myfault . You won this time john, next time ill hit the button. GMF
    you sure you got the sd ram installed in the sdram slots? because there are 4 slots, 2 for ddr and 2 for sdram. if i were you i would get some ddr ram, as your computer is going to be very slow with crudy sdram.

yeah i installed it correctly. and SDRam's notches are diffrent from those of DDR so there is not way to intall a SD module in the DDR slot. i think i will try with DDR.

thanks for the help.

Likewas your RAM could be bad. Its been known to happen before. Where did you get your RAM?

Originally posted by marcus_from_hell
    yeah i installed it correctly. and SDRam's notches are diffrent from those of DDR so there is not way to intall a SD module in the DDR slot. i think i will try with DDR.

thanks for the help.
    i just tried it with brand new DDR Ram. well, I am very certain now that the mother board is bad itself.

If you're getting beeps on POST then there's no way around that, either your mem is bad or your got a poor mobo, either way atleast your getting away from that awful celeron!

Sorry, also you said you tried Pc100, maje sure your get the right MHz like 133, 100 whatever, cause your P4 might lock if its mem is too low...

dood, the brand new DDR Ram is not working that means its not the memory. i bought 300watts power supply to go with it. could that be the problem? i heard its better to have 450watts but not sure.

Are you getting the same beep sequence with the DDR? If not what is the new sequence?
    Do you have another know good machine that you can test the original SDRAM in?
    Do you have known good RAM that you can try in the new box?
    Try testing the power supply in another box too if possible.
    I'm not entirely up to speed on the power requirements for P4 and/or your MOBO, but try a known good power supply if possible.
    If all that fails, walk away for a day or two
    Good luck!

yeah the old SD Ram was working fine with the old motherboard. and i do get the same beeps wit the DDR Ram. i think its the mother board. or the processor. i'll get it replaced.