A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i got a question.

Originally posted by gerbick
    dude. I've talked directly to my host about that.

you want to talk to them!?

sheesh. and to think. I was trying to help out. Never again.
    lol good 1 gerb
    HAVE A NICE DAY!
    Jony389

You registered a little under a month ago and you barg in here saying stuff like that...shame on you...
    Hello.

Originally posted by aversion
    haha, sorry, did i put my foot in it?

It might be a little different for us though, we actually own our servers and rent bandwidth, rather than actually having a 'host', we are our own hosts.

maybe that means we can do it, but gerbs can't?
    When you were in TO, you hosted your servers from home, through an isp right? Who was your provider??? I (naturally) live in a residential zoned area and can't get a commercial hook-up that allows me to host servers (like sypatico or rogers) The only one i did find was ADSL ( )... any help?

Originally posted by juxtaman
    When you were in TO, you hosted your servers from home, through an isp right? Who was your provider??? I (naturally) live in a residential zoned area and can't get a commercial hook-up that allows me to host servers (like sypatico or rogers) The only one i did find was ADSL ( )... any help?
    nope, our two servers are in a cage on an internet backbone in Calgary. It's not cheap but it's a much fatter, and more reliable, connection than cable or dsl. Most hosting companies do the same thing, just rent space on a fat pipe somewhere, the larger ones might have their own connections to the internet's fast lane

I'm not into the technical side of hosting, my partner does most of the work setting up domains and managing the mail server etc and we have a friend in calgary who keeps the server setup up to date and kicks them if they need it

We do run a file server from my partner's apt but that's only for a few people to use and you can't access it through http, it's just for files.

ps, you're better off getting your own server or paying for good hosting than paying for a commercial connection at home, it's much cheaper and you can do just about everything remotely anyway

so. you're gonna host me, right Aversion?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

nope, our two servers are in a cage on an internet backbone in Calgary. It's not cheap but it's a much fatter, and more reliable, connection than cable or dsl. Most hosting companies do the same thing, just rent space on a fat pipe somewhere, the larger ones might have their own connections to the internet's fast lane

I'm not into the technical side of hosting, my partner does most of the work setting up domains and managing the mail server etc and we have a friend in calgary who keeps the server setup up to date and kicks them if they need it

We do run a file server from my partner's apt but that's only for a few people to use and you can't access it through http, it's just for files.

ps, you're better off getting your own server or paying for good hosting than paying for a commercial connection at home, it's much cheaper and you can do just about everything remotely anyway
    The reason i ask is i'm hosting a simple html and ftp server from home so i can access stuff from work and school, but i have to keep port hiding it so my isp doesn't find it.

I thought you might know some companies in TO that provide access with support for servers in residential zones... no biggie if not, just gotta keep looking...

Originally posted by gerbick
    so. you're gonna host me, right Aversion?

hehe, it's not cheap, you have to be a client or someone of artistic merit (like www.jigaram.com, an FK member and newsposter at DiK ), generally it will cost more than a commercial host but they're all clients so there's a lot of extras for them

...you have to be a client or someone of artistic merit...
    man. there's always a catch!

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Yep.

if (virgoClue == 0) {
    confusion = true
    explanation = false
    }

flashkitMember.gotoAndPlay("explain")

if (flashkitMember.gotoAndPlay("explain") {
    confusion = false
    explanation = true
    emotion = "happy"
    }

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

thx

thx that helped alot!
    HAVE A NICE DAY!
    Jony389

If you have a speedy enough connection and your ISP does not forbidd it, then you could host it yourself.

Its an option.

how would you do that?
    HAVE A NICE DAY!
    Jony389

Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    Yep.

if (virgoClue == 0) {
    confusion = true
    explanation = false
    }

flashkitMember.gotoAndPlay("explain")

if (flashkitMember.gotoAndPlay("explain") {