dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Grunge BG

Grunge BG

I'm not so sure what they call this kind of bg technique but i was wondering i someone could teach me or point me towards a good tutorilaon how to do the bg technique used on this site:

http://www.wa007shop.com/content/home_f.htm

thank you in advance

u can create the same sort of background using photoshop brushes, if u look on the d 'n' g last two pages there are posts with links to these brush sites

http://nocturna.net/

This site (above) is a good starting place, also mb search on google for 'Photoshop brushes'

hope this aims u in the right direction

another way to do that kind of thing is to use real life textures in your image, a crumbling stone wall, weather beaten concrete, an old poster clinging to a wall... there are many textures all around us that can be used in images for this kind of effect, most often you will use layer blending to 'fit' your texture with your image. Here are a couple of good tutorials on blending textures... here and here - the last one includes a mixture of both techniques.

there are places on the web where you can find textures, google image search for example, but if you have your own camera it's a good idea to build up your own library of images and textures for use in your work.

Originally posted by aversion
    but if you have your own camera it's a good idea to build up your own library of images and textures for use in your work.
    i fully agree, get a digital one with 128 meg card and u can snap away getting hundreds of shots, also u can make your own Ps brushes from snaps and virtually anything that u like, eg scans, photos, images of the net (check copyright on the net images)

bp

Sorry but have to tell,you can make this **** youself.
    say you want to make a background of 800x600.
    you can make this 2 ways:
    by filling the layer with black,render clouds,use noise>monochromatic.(afterwards you can still use some filters,this gives everytime different effects,experiment).
    You set this layer in overlay.Make sure it's not a backgroundlayer.
    Now you save the file as a .psd and call it displace.
    You make a new file with same size, make a borderselection.
    (frame).Go to filter displace.Hit ok and load your image displace.
    Know you have the grunge effect.you can reaply the filter as much as you whant.(command+f).

or the same way with an image,overlay,save as displace2.psd
    you can apply filter to the image.

It's a long way but when you worked this out>you can use this structures to make brushes by selecting with elliptical shapes,square's,with a liddle feather,...So you don't need to scan your grunges anymore.

no need to be sorry.

The great thing about photoshop is that it works in so many different ways. I prefer to use source images rather than create textures within photoshop or download brushes from the net, but I've used all three techniques in the past.

another way to give yourself a scratchy texture is to take any image with a lot going on and go to the select menu and choose colour range. By playing aroudn with the settings you'll be able to create a selection of 'scratches' and marks that you can save and use on your image, or create brushes from.

Photoshop really allows you to work the way you want to, that's why the best thing to do with all techniques is try them all, find out which ways flows best for you. You'll find that it's a very intuitive application once you learn the tools.

Last edited by aversion; 12-23-2002 at 10:17 PM.