A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preload off the CD-ROM?

Preload off the CD-ROM?

Hi All,

Is there any way to preload contents before they are played off from a CD-ROM? So that, while played back the audio remains tightly synced with the graphics.

Regards,

Parag Shah
    Keep on flashing guys

Well...
    Its not that you can't preload contents from a CDROM, its just that it would preload almost instantly as its only "downloading" from the CD and not from the net.
    And you would use any preloader that would work on the net. It will also work on the CD.

Im assuming you imagine that loading all contents to memory before playing will help sync the sound/animation.
    I am not so sure, but curious to know what you find out in the end.

Are your sounds streamed?

A simple Preloader:
    Code:
    FRAME 1
    ifFrameLoaded (LAST_FRAME_ NUMBER) {
        gotoAndPlay(FIRST_FRAME_OF_MOVIE_NUMBER);
    }
    FRAME2
    gotoAndPlay(FRAME 1);
    Mr Pimp!
    Mr Pimp!
    Mr Pimp!

Hi there,

Thanx for the reply. Even I guessed that a normal preloader should work. Now, lemmet check out and if it works, i'd let ya know.

Regards,

Parag Shah
    Keep on flashing guys

The world goes - hm.. TheCaramella's Avatar
    Second door on the right, next to the ice bear
    I don't understand: you guessed a normal preloader would work, and still you're wondering about preloading stuff off a CD?
    Were you wondering if there exist any special CD-preloader-components stuff in Flash?
    I have seen CD's with preloaders. They go "...loading" an instant, and there it is.
    On some of my own movies I get a glimpse of my preloaders, also when loading the movies internally in my computer.
    That might be because they are there, and the movie won't start without loading them as well, but it might also be that they need to run, to load everything into memory. I program Java, so I know of certain programmes taking their time, both to initialize, and to find their way around internally

Hi guys, Happy New Yr...

I produce CD presentations for my business (still a novice!), our presentations contain video clips from tv recordings. I have 3 video clips, 40mb, 30mb and 12mb each.

My experience with Flash is that when you burn a projector.exe movie on to a cd rom and you then load the movie from the cd rom, the computer wants to load all the data contained within the movie before playing frame 1 of the movie - this can take upto 10 minutes on my old pc, by which time I will have cancelled the cd and said it wasn't working.

Now I put each video clip in a seperate .swf and use loadMovie from a button to play the video.

Now, the main movie loads from the cd almost instantly (main movie is about 1mb) and the 40mb video clip loads within about 8 seconds when called. 8 seconds is long enough to warrant a pre-loader in my view -

And here's my question, how do you create a preloader for loading a .swf movie?

Hi,

I don't understand: you guessed a normal preloader would work, and still you're wondering about preloading stuff off a CD?
    Were you wondering if there exist any special CD-preloader-components stuff in Flash?
    Well, I knew the working of preloaders intended for web. But believe me, the same concept does not hold true for loading off cd-roms as contents are not sent into packets like its counterpart and most important there is nothing like bandwidth. And, it's almost ridiculous when I found that preloading off CD-ROM took the same (not even a millisecond difference) time on both a P-III and a P-166. So, somehow, the concept is not working for loading off cd-rom.

And here's my question, how do you create a preloader for loading a .swf movie?
    Click here for a fantastic tutorial.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Parag Shah
    Keep on flashing guys