A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dna

Dna

I am working a a model for DNA, and I am having a bear of a time figure out how to make it in Swift. Any of you gurus out there wanna lend me your knowledge in how I can make a anotomicly correct DNA molecule?

Thanks in advance
    "You see, it's like I said, you can more with a kind word and a 2x4 then you can with just a kind word."
    [swf width="300" height="40" background="#000000"]http://www.stormbuilt.com/iconlogo.swf[/swf]

If I knew what the heck it looked like "anotomically" I could help!

Mike

Good point

As I would have to draw it out to make any sence, this could be a circular conversation. The main thing I need to do, thats giving me problems, is to be able to make a ribbon like object. The ribbon would be curved along a path that would allow it to turn 360. The ribbon would not turn 360 planerly, but over a distance.

The best way to image it is if you made a box using the lathe tool, and had a way to then define over what amount of Z axis the Lathe tool would make the object.

Does this help?

Thanks
    "You see, it's like I said, you can more with a kind word and a 2x4 then you can with just a kind word."
    [swf width="300" height="40" background="#000000"]http://www.stormbuilt.com/iconlogo.swf[/swf]

its called a double helix...and yea i've done it in swift v2...it was very hard cause swift doesn't have a simple twist modifier...so i have to make each section then copy it then rotate it..until it looked similar to the double helix..since there was so much lines when i rendered it, it had a huge file..
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

it looks like this for anyone that wants to help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Anima...n-74/index.php

Made by a fk member, no relevance just worth a look

Could you or someone else, design it in another 3d prog then inport it?
     Beware Of Programmers Who Carry A Screwdriver

It is not a correct model

I Have made a model like the one above, but it is not corect. I figure this is a lost cause. Oh well. Thanks all for everything.

Post what you have.

Mike

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    Don't ya just love the determination of some people.....????

Is this the kind of ribbon effect you are searching for?
    ( I haven't added the internals )

Let me know

Nitro, i think i've seen that before but i thought it was an image. awsome! you my friend are a freak!
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Exteriors good

Actually, the exterior of that is good, how did you make it?

Joining to mmoxley: how to do such a spiral? May be it is also available to do such a trick with the plane, isn't it?

Thanks Blink - but I only made a twistie ..not the standard of that roadster! Brilliant work, mate

You guys will kick yourself when I tell you how I did it.
    If ever you saw my little tutorial on making a bent tube - that was almost all there was to it. Only difference was having a pig of a time getting the twist as well as the bend correct.
    The tube tutorial is here
    This time however - I used the lathe editor. Then moved ( while still in the lathe editor )the lathe object far from the centre and then adjusted the sweep angle down to just under 10 degrees to give the wedge shape needed.
    Now it's a matter of placing each wedge next to the last one and twisting it slightly and then pivoting it until it lines up - the slight twist will cause it to spiral. Once you have the twisted half torus right - group, copy and paste ( it pays to group it each time you make a join and then copy the bigger chunk - its much faster that way ) and align each new section for as long as you want the twister. Then group it all together, copy - paste and rotate the copy 180 degrees about its axis to get the second torus. Turning it into a ribbon was done by grouping both objects and stretching the Y axis by 2.75 if X and Z were at 1.

Nice work

Well nitrocharged, you have a great grasp of the physics behind Swift 3d. Excellent job. I'm going to review to tute, and give it a whirl.

Thanks

Great tut Nitro, will come in handy!

Mike

Glad I could help.
    would love to see any results you may come up with!

Kult Factory Canada andrewBwinter's Avatar

dude!

...so the tute answers the question about segmenting primitives.. answer, you can't! otherwise you wouldn't have had to build the 1/2 torus from scratch.
    i've found the position of the pivot for the smaller cylinder is key to matching the pivot for the torus, also locking the rotate to 10 helps with the incrementation.
    --
    a thousand camels
    abw

another idea 4 ya

Hi

I just stumbled upon this thread and interestingly enough, I was trying to create the same thing not long ago. I didn't have the in-depth responses you have already seen in this thread, so I managed my own way. It was kind of tedious at first, but that is because I was brand new to Swift 3D. This dna strand was created by copying and pasting grouped objects and then moving them down on the y-axis and rotating them to create the next piece of the spiral. Here's the outcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kult Factory Canada andrewBwinter's Avatar
    nice work man.
    now that you feel comfortable with the program, try modelling the male dragon scene from reign of fire . Failing that, animate something on the latrhe timeline. It has the flexibility to produce organic objects as well as mechanial ones.
    post away when done!
    --
    a thousand camels
    abw