A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pre-Load with loadMovie

Pre-Load with loadMovie

Can a pre-loader be used when waiting for an external .swf to load from a button or frame action through the loadMovie command? As they seem to all have to be in the same frame I don't see hoiw it can be done?

Yes, you add the preloader to the external movie swf. Most preloaders will work fine, but you need to [generally] change the code a bit. In the preloader code, change any '_root.' to 'this.', and it should work.

Thanks, I've learnt that Flash loads all the data on a .swf (when played on a CD Rom) before the first frame of the .swf is played (I may be wrong), therefore I don't understand (I am very much a novice with MX) why I would want to place the preloader in the .swf I am loading (the preloader would not show until the .swf had loaded and is therefore useless), surely I need the preloader in the main movie (to which the .swf is being loaded into) to let the user know that 'something' is happening (being loaded)?

As the preloader has to be in the same frame in the ,main timeline as the frame to which the .swf is being loaded into how can the preloader work when placed on the main timeline?

I'm really stuck with this one and would be grateful of any advice you can give...

Thanks again,

Is it possible to make preloader from movie that streeams another, It should be, anyone have Idea?

You either use a Preload scene, for the preloader, or put the loader in the first frames of the swf, and the content later. Thats not true that everything in a swf has to load before it plays. The first frame has to load, then it will play, then frame 2, 3, etc. Check out this page. All five buttons have preloaders built into the externally loaded movies, you can see they work fine.

http://64.21.153.144/simpleload.htm

Here is a tutorial how to create a preloader. Check the main site of this tutorial for the fla to download. This is also good for swfs not only jpgs.

http://can_info_guide.tripod.com/pre...preloader.html
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -