dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Anyone got a Freecom external dvd writer?

Anyone got a Freecom external dvd writer?

I'm considering buying this

What do you all think... anyone had experience of freecom products?

I'm a little confused about their *"Multi Connect System" though... do I need to buy something else or are they all included?!

* Using the Multi Connect System it connects easily to the USB, PCMCIA, FireWire/i.LINK and Parallel port*. Just take the appropriate Freecom cable for the interface, plug in and go! Soon the USB-2 and the CardBus cable are available.

it looks sexy for sure. I have never brought freecom products but did not Pegasus own them? If this is the case, it can't be that bad?

Looking at the products info, they did not say what is included and what is not included but typically, a cable is provided. don't bother with parallel port as it is slow -- go for something like USB or wait till USB-2 is out

Originally posted by tonytryout
    it looks sexy for sure. I have never brought freecom products but did not Pegasus own them? If this is the case, it can't be that bad?

Looking at the products info, they did not say what is included and what is not included but typically, a cable is provided. don't bother with parallel port as it is slow -- go for something like USB or wait till USB-2 is out
    Yup.. I'll go with USB2, firewire or pcmcia

Damn... I just found this Sony one...
    Two competing standards? Not sure what to choose? Now you can enjoy the benefits of this versatile technology thanks to Sony's new DVD Duo Drives. By allowing you to burn DVDs in all formats, the Sony DRX-500UL DVD-writers ensure that the discs you make will play on the widest possible range of DVD players and PCs.
    So erm... what are the two standards? Aren't they just DVDs?!

nah, I think there are currently three different standards for DVD recording. A lot of DVD players can't play them all so choose carefully

check this article out for more info.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-958352.html

Last edited by aversion; 12-29-2002 at 09:33 PM.

yep, aversion said it -- there is a war about this in the DVD industry. We have DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM, and a few others.

So like aversion says, choose very very carefully. You could tell the shop assistant the make of your DVD player and ask whether this particular DVD writer can produce DVDs to be played by that DVD player.

Failing that, you could always buy 4 or 5 different DVD-writers...

So the DVDs I buy in the shops... what standard are they?

Is it just dvd rewriteables? Then it doesn't really matter... my main dvd player is my ps2 they should all work on that... right?

I don't think DVD-Burners have "Burn Proof" ability yet, and since each DVD-R are around $8-10 it's a bit on the struth side!

Check http://www.lacie.com/products/produc...1B0090278D3ED0

Lacie make some nice gear, they're a little unheard of but i have a couple of their products, an external firewire burner and a digicam card reader for all formats. Their stuff is mint.

Plus their DVD-RW burner is only $399.00 U.S

Originally posted by juxtaman
    I don't think DVD-Burners have "Burn Proof" ability yet, and since each DVD-R are around $8-10 it's a bit on the struth side!

Check http://www.lacie.com/products/produc...1B0090278D3ED0

Lacie make some nice gear, they're a little unheard of but i have a couple of their products, an external firewire burner and a digicam card reader for all formats. Their stuff is mint.

Plus their DVD-RW burner is only $399.00 U.S
    Yeah I did have a quick look at them, but I don't think I can buy them here in the uk (they weren't on dabs.com anyway!)

There are also a lot of red X down the bottom of that page where it lists what it can and can't do

Originally posted by Markp.com
    Yeah I did have a quick look at them, but I don't think I can buy them here in the uk (they weren't on dabs.com anyway!)

There are also a lot of red X down the bottom of that page where it lists what it can and can't do
    hehehhe, yeah i noticed that... they should of made those X's grey...

So the Sony, or the Freecom? "Place ya bets now!"

FK's Official A&A Addict
    1. dvd burners do have burnproof justlink etc.. built-in.

2. a dvd-r can't contain a full movie. A typical movie contains 2 layers of data wich means >4.7gb

3. for best compatibility choose sony as they can burn both dvd-r and dvd+r

I'm leaning towards the DRX-500UL DVD+-R/RW External but can't find any real info on it on the sony website... I'm still searching though, if you lot know of any links, please post em!

FK's Official A&A Addict
    4 speed dvd-/+r burner
    24 speed cd burner

Yeah found some info on it at last... now to finish some freelance and get some money