A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Intro check

Liquified

Flash Intro check

Please check out this Flash intro I created for a friend's band's new CD/Web Site. They love it, I'm not too thrilled with it but I don't want to spend too much time on it. Please let me know if there are any annoyances or mistakes. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Eric

http://www.speakeasy.org/~eblack/pope/

you manky scots git!!! Flashlor's Avatar
    very cool, youve done the whole 40s cinema screen thing really well.

everything seems pretty simple and clean, no faults that i saw.

good work.
    We're all here to do what we're all here to do.

forever depreciated™ aaron.martone's Avatar
    Very Poorly done.

Just kidding! lol. Actually was done very well. I'd recommend that during the intro you'd have more "useless crap", for lack of a better word" moving around (unless you don't want to be too CPU intensive for some users)

The Feb 2003 didn't sync with the THUD sound...but other than that, looks like a nicely done rock band flash intro. Bravo.
    (am)™ :: aaron.martone ::
    http://www.aaronmartone.com

"I see in layers; I think in ActionScript; Life is my animation and animation is my life.... oh, and I like corn dogs."

Liquified

Flash Intro Check

Originally posted by aaron.martone
    Very Poorly done.

Just kidding! lol. Actually was done very well. I'd recommend that during the intro you'd have more "useless crap", for lack of a better word" moving around (unless you don't want to be too CPU intensive for some users)

The Feb 2003 didn't sync with the THUD sound...but other than that, looks like a nicely done rock band flash intro. Bravo.
    Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate the comments and I've learned a ton from everyone on this forum. Still a little frustrated that I haven't gotten up to the level of most of you as far as originality and technical prowess, but I keep working on it.

Anyway, the site is going to have an alternative HTML site for the narrowband and low-CPU users, so I wasn't really creating for the "lowest common denominator", so I will take your advice and add some more useless crap. Everyone loves useless crap, it's what makes the world go 'round. I still would like to fill certain areas with more effects, but my brain is in a rut.

As far as the ending animations synching with the sounds, I don't know what is going on with that. I have it synched perfectly in the FLA file but once it's exported the sounds don't sync up. Currently they are event sounds but I've tried to change them to stream and I got the same results. I know it's a little off-topic, but does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I'm using MX and exporting as Flash 6.

Thanks again, this forum is great.

Eric

For the sound issue, I may have your solution.

How is your SFX set to play? Stream, Event? (What the problem maybe be is that :

(a) the sfx CLINK is not RIGHT at where the words hit or stop. If it's 0.5 or more seconds into the SFX, you need to correlate the tween with that time as well.

or

(b) if the sfx is set to stream, the cpu could be stressed to play everything at one time (though I don't see why, cause it's a simple motion tween with a sfx put to it), but that sometimes out-syncs the sounds and animation.

"I see in layers; I think in ActionScript; Life is my animation and animation is my life.... oh, and I like corn dogs."

JAyzEE
    very niCe intro
    Junaid Zamir

looks great... i like the film style look... one thing though... don't loop it... when it's done have it stop on a link to "play again"

Visual Communicator
    The flash work is great. The sound trac is very poor in quality. I assume this is a premature band with not much money for editing and recording, if that is this case then I guess you have to make with what ya have.

If that is not the case, then I would re-record the sound used in the intro and spend some time editing and cleaning it up.

Considering that most pro-recording studios charge $1500-$3000 an hour, it can be a little tough on the pockets... However, it could have been professionally done and just deteriorated via a low bitrate modification or poor compression methods.

Visual Communicator
    I guess that would be depending on if they went to RCA or a small recording studio. I have friends here in town who run a couple studios ( record anything from full band to dj sets) , could get a trac recorded and mastered for about 100.00 to 300.00.

Depending on how long they take. If they know the song, should be able to get it in one or two trys. And granted this would not be RCA, but it would be quality work to get started.

I recorded a few mixed cd's in my dj days around town in small studios and never payed over a couple hundred for the initial recording. Additional cd's and copys would be more of course.

So there are always options I would think. Just depends on how hard you wana look. And how important it would be to make a good first impression.

And maybe as you stated if they dropped the ball on the compression and bitrate modifications I would definatley look into re-converting.

Liquified
    Originally posted by aaron.martone
    Considering that most pro-recording studios charge $1500-$3000 an hour, it can be a little tough on the pockets... However, it could have been professionally done and just deteriorated via a low bitrate modification or poor compression methods.

Actually, it is the bitrate that is affecting the sound quality. I am going to bump it up a few notches to get a clearer sound.

Believe it or not, this is their 6th or 7th demo and they used Protools to record in one of the guy's apartments and a friend who owns a studio to master. They swear it's the best sound they've gotten so far, and that's after paying hefty rates at semi-professional studios. I'm going to fix the sound and hopefully clean up the sound a bit. Thanks again guys.

Eric