A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: UIComponents lingering in memory

UIComponents lingering in memory

Hi everyone,

When I add a ScrollPane from the FlashMX UI Components, it (naturally) raises the size of my movie by about 32k. It appears to be placing this in the 1st frame of the movie, even if it doesn't appear in the 1st frame.

Where I'm having an issue, is that if I then change my mind and remove the component (including from the library) and all of its references from the code, the 1st frame remains on 32k.

This is causing me headaches with my pre-loader, as this 32k must be loaded 1st, before my preloader appears (kinda redundant).

1) Will a UI Component always load in frame 1, even if it's not required until a later frame / scene?

2) I can never seem to clear it out completely, if I have ever added it (nd then removed it) from my movie. Is the UI Component stored somewhere else other than code and the library within my movie? If so, where? and how can I get rid of it completely (without starting a new movie), if I've added it to my movie and then change my mind.

Thanks!
    Cerious.

you are right... when you delete the entire component file from the library "something" is still "there"(but where exactly is there?)

oh... this is going to bug me all night...
    --

T

Yep... I lost sleep last night over it

*shocked* no one knows where "it" is...

let give it another 24hrs here... if no one has an answer then this might be a post for here: http://webforums.macromedia.com/flash/ because we need to know...
    --

T

Consider it moved.

I've transferred this over already

Thanks for all your help peoples!

- Cerious.

Answered

This was just answered on the Macromedia forum, and I had a quick play with it to check.... man it was so simple!!!

Here's the answer:
    This question was answered by Clint_Critchlow, on Thursday, January 2, 2003 4:10 PM
    Answer:
    You should be able to delete the component from the library and the file size will decrease. You want to make sure you are removing the whole component folder and not just the one part. If you don't see the size go down then you want to do a Save As.
    Components and other linked items will download before the first frame so they are ready in the first frame. You can uncheck the Export in First Frame option in the linkage box to change this. There is more information about this at <http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/...xtreme002.html>.
    Also the scrollpane is only about 12k as the bandwidth profiler does not take the compression in when showing the size
    - Cerious.

great!

good going Cerious....

that article by Brandon Hall - <http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx...extreme002.html> really helped me understand more about components and I would say it is a must read for everyone especially since components are such a hot topic around here
    --

T