A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Finding a job online?

Finding a job online?

Hello, lately I've been trying a variety of different ways to find an entry level job to make my start. I recently graduated college, but since I have no experience yet it can be tough to find a place that will even consider me. I've been trying to do job searches online and have been somewhat successful with it.

My question is, does anyone know of any good places online to do job searches for designers? Or any other methods of finding companies who are hiring?

Thanks for any suggestions.

have you tried.

www.monster.com
    Hello.

newspapers

Most local newspapers have online classifieds. I would check in there first. Those ads are placed by real people with a real need. Less temp agencies and such will post there.

Yeah, I've checked the big online job searches like monster.com and hotjobs.com , as well as some design oriented sites like creativehotlist.com. I've also tried in my newspaper's classified, but so far I've only seen one design related position posted there in the last few weeks.

Has anyone here personally had any success finding a job online? Just curious to know how effective it is.

Your problem may be your location. Jacksonville doesnt have a lot of industry, I think. Build a little porfolio for yourself and go to design/ad agencies. Also, try the actual newspaper itself. All papers have a little in-house advertising deparmtent. Its usually easier to get in at a newspaper than a firm.

I'm actually in Daytona now, but thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll go ahead and try with our newspaper here to see if they have something.

Oh, and here's my temporary flash portfolio site.

www.unf.edu/~bins0001

If anyone wants to tell me what they think of the site, that would be cool, too.

uhm
    I've been accepted for 3 web designs jobs, for each of them I just emailed the company and asked them if they had any jobs going and gave them a link to my portfolio site.

Neither of them had any jobs advertised, I just chanced it, and it paid off. I suggest you try it.

Just make a huge list of emails of companies in your area and email them. Though only about 15% every reply (understandably).

Visual Communicator
    Same here, I e-mailed ever possible company in town that could hire me for any position, web or print. Took about a year of looking after school, but finally landed a good job. For a firm in town. Also landed a freelance job from a smaller design firm who subs me out the work they can't get to. Just because they liked the portfolio I sent them. So now between the two I do ok.

Don't ever stop e-mailing, two or three a day, every day. And don't stop working.

Pound that portfolio full while your in down time.

Thanks you guys, that's great advice. I definitely won't stop e-mailing and of course I'll continue working on my portfolio.

uhm
    Yeah by the way, I must've emailed like 30+ companies and infact the company I currently work for, I emailed twice, and they only replied to my second one...

so like getVersion() said, don't give up if you don't get very far with it at first.

It took me about 2-3 months I think, but I can't quite remember...