A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Creating Menus

Creating Menus

Hello everyone. I am new to Swish (flash all together). I have created a movie/intro for a new webpage. I have created the buttons, background. Everything is set except for the menu. I'm stuck. I can't seem to figure out after following the tutorial/lessons that came with Swish, on how to setup the buttons so when clicked will go to the respective "target", e.g. I have the following Buttons. Services, Equipment. How do I set it so when the visitor clicks on Services, it takes them to the Services area or information page, without having to recreate the home page with the content for every section. I just can't seem to find a step by step tutorial on creating the menu. Any help please. Thanks everyone.

Hamma190

click on the button symbol
    click Add Event and choose on Press
    the Add Event tab will have changed to Add Action. click on it and choose goTo URL
    in the target box, type the name of the html file you want to go to

you will need to open those other pages either on a popup window or a new window.

another way is to create a sprite to contain a page, position it on the main page, and use tellTarget to open each sprite

hope this will get the ball rolling

Thanks for the reply sauvage. I would very much rather use the second option you mentioned. That's where I'm getting stuck, do I have to place in actions (place for example) with in the sprite? I just tried the following. Scene 1 which I called HOME, where all the buttons are located. Then I created a square (this was just to try it out, this will be actual text pertaining to the button title), converted it to a sprite and called it 'RATES'. Then I clicked on the button 'RATES', and added ON PRES, tell target '/RATES' (there were two though, one with the / slash and one without, I tried both). Problem is that the square shows without me having to click. Hope I'm making any sense here. Thanks again everyone.

Hamma190

you are welcome.
    i just came online and read your post right away.
    let me knock off an actual example plus a short guide. that way you will see better. i'll come back online and post it here for you.

this is one way of doing it. it is a simple way.

we call a sprite with the / preceding it if it is on the same level. so, if we are calling a sprite called rates, it would be /rates

in this example i have done for you, we are not using tellTarget to call a sprite, but we are using it to call the main movie. as you would have read in the help/tutorial file in swish itself, sprites can, besides interacting with one another, also interact with the main movie and vice versa.

in this case, we interact with the main movie from within the sprites. you will see it in action with the CLOSE button. and as we are interacting with the main movie, the path is only /

if you have other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
    Attached Files Attached Files

wohooo

I can't thank you enough. I won't count my chickens yet, but I think that last file you sent me did it. I will definetly let you know how it goes. Thanks again to everyone. Maybe someday, I'll be able to give you or someone else a hand.

Thanks
    Hamma190

the pleasure is mine -- knowing i've made you happy
    yes, it'd be nice to know either way.
    if you have any other questions, just ask.
    good luck.

so far so good

So far all is going well. Two questions.

1)How can I change the size of the window, when it opens in a web browser? I want to lock the size, restrict it to the size of the Movie, as opposed to the it playing/opening in the entire size of the broswer.

2)How do setup a window with TExt content for scrolling?

Thanks again.
    Hamma190

no prob

1)How can I change the size of the window, when it opens in a web browser? I want to lock the size, restrict it to the size of the Movie, as opposed to the it playing/opening in the entire size of the broswer.

open the sprite i called services and you'll see the last item called SERVICE. that is your "popup" window. you can't see it on your movie because i have made its bg white. the size will stay no matter what size screen your visitor has.

2)How do setup a window with TExt content for scrolling?

if you go here, you'll find three types of scrollers lower down the page. d/l the tut and you'll be half-way there

Awesome...below is a link to a website, which when visited, the flash pops up in the size the flash was created. E.g. My movie is 781w x 431h, that's the size I would like the Browser to open up in.
    www.dezrok.com

Thanks
    Hamma190

please take a look at the windows i point to on the jpg image submitted. if you mean those, then they are not opened from a swf

your first post suggested that you wanted a popup opened from your swf.

those two windows are opened with jacascripts. on the main html, there is no swf.

is that what you want to achieve?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Indeed..

lol, :-) ur 'da best man. Yup. So I take I would have to export the *.swf file plus the *.html to clipboard and do it in let's say, frontpage? or are there specific html codes? Thanks again.

Hamma190

ya da bestest pupil, that's why

this is what you need to do --
    1] on your main html, you put in the javascript to open a popup window
    2] create a secondary html whose contents will be shown inside that popup. let's call it popup.html
    3] in that popup.html, you put in your codes for your text and swf

question 1 ] clear now?
    2 ] what other help you need?

by the way, hamma, you are the last person i am helping on this board. if you want help from me in future, pls email me direct.
    Last edited by sauvage; 01-06-2003 at 04:53 AM.

p.s. I tried to e-mail but it said I can't e-mail you through here.

cheers...thank you very much. If you do get a chance, cause I didn't get the last instrucs you gave...I guess I've been on this pc too long today. lol. In any case. Thanks again...

Hamma190
    Last edited by hamma190; 01-06-2003 at 08:04 AM.

hamma, i shall write to you.
    for now, go back to your last post and remove your email address. yu don't want bots to find it, do you?

later, alligator!

read my post above, you silly fella and then check your email