A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing Tools, Location & Scrollbars on both Windows AND Macintosh

Sr. Member and still clueless!

Removing Tools, Location & Scrollbars on both Windows AND Macintosh

Greetings,

I have an invisible button in a flash movie.
    http://www.t-i-w.com/staging/edpead/index.html

The invisible button becomes available when the words "CLICK HELMET TO ENTER" appear, just click the helmet. Those of you who have a Windows machine AND a Mac at your disposal, open the site on both platforms, click the helmet and watch what happens. On the Windows side it does EXACTLY what I want (no tools, scroll bars, location etc. and edge-to-edge graphic placement). On the Mac side I'm not so lucky.

On the Mac side:
    1. The window is opening WITH location, scroll bars, tools etc. I DON'T WANT IT TO DO THAT!

2. There is also a gap of about 20 pixels on the East and South edges that shouldn't be there. It looks as though the window is 760 x 420 pixels wide and the graphic is 720 x 400.

If I were to build an HTML page that had a text or graphic link, I could use Dreamweavers Behaviors to open a new page when the user clicks the link and tell it the exact size and what tools it should have AND IT WOULD WORK ON BOTH PLATFORMS!!!

Why isn't Flash behaving as such? What do I need to do?

Here is the code attached to the invisible button layered above the helmet:

on (release) {
    getURL("java script:window.open('http://www.t-i-w.com/staging/edpead/html/mainindex.html','newWin','width=760,height=420,lef t=0,top=0, toolbar=No,location=No,scrollbars=No,status=No,res izable=No,fullscreen=No');NewWindow.focus();void(0 );");
    }

!pleH

Banned
    I don't think Flash as that much to do with this problem. IMHO, it's all an html, javascript and browser issue.

Mark, on this issue, can you help me with the hard way, if you have got it figured out?

I'm pretty new to this, so I need a pretty thorough description.

thanks,

yeah and why do we have to do it the hard way.

Originally posted by schlep
    Mark, on this issue, can you help me with the hard way, if you have got it figured out?

I'm pretty new to this, so I need a pretty thorough description.

thanks,

yeah and why do we have to do it the hard way.

Let's see if anyone else has any clues. I don't understand why it works from a link in Dreamweaver but if I put it on a button in a Flash file, no go.

It's just not fair is it boys!

is this what you are trying to acheive Mark? I don't know if you can decifer the code from it to be useful to you, but I certainly can't. The pop-up doesn't come from Flash, but I beleive the needed code is in the pop-up to do the window right. My problem is sorting it out to only have an image in it, not a flash movie.

http://www.multimethod.com

The Don.

browser issues

flash has nothing to do with this. your javascript is not working on mac platform becuz somthing to do with the html, jscript, or browser.

Did u get that THING I sent ya!

Originally posted by schlep
    is this what you are trying to acheive Mark?
    http://www.multimethod.com
    The answer is yes, on my Mac that opens the way I want it to. The problem is that is a graphic link, I can do that in Dreamweaver. Getting that same thing to happen from a button link within Flash is the problem.

Make sense?

Banned
    Not to me! What browser are you using on the Mac anyway?

The Don.

don't mind this nosy newbie..

wouldn't simply just do the "get url..." AS on the flash button, publish, and then edit the html file in dreamweaver, placing the necessary jscript within body tags?

Did u get that THING I sent ya!

I'm using Internet Explorer 5.1 on one Mac and Apple's new Safari web browser on the other. I'm also using Internet Explorer on my Windows Machine.

This is what I'm talking about, the "FLASH" link on the multimethod site is a graphic with HTML coded to it to open a new window at a certain size and without toolbars etc. I can do that in Dreamweaver with its Behaviors. The problem lies in Flash, if I apply the code I posted earlier to a button within a Flash movie it will open the window properly on my Windows machine but not on either of my Macs.

Why does it work from a link embeded in an HTML page but not from a button in Flash movie?

You're right, it doesn't make sense.

Re: don't mind this nosy newbie..

Originally posted by nestorstyle
    wouldn't simply just do the "get url..." AS on the flash button, publish, and then edit the html file in dreamweaver, placing the necessary jscript within body tags?
    Oh boy, you're going beyond my abilities I think but let me see if I'm understanding you.

FLASH: I can assign the getURL actionscript to the button, that will retreive the page and nothing more. This I can do.

HTML: On the HTML page, I have to put some kind of javascript that recognises when the user has clicked the button within the swf and then it will open the target page at a specific size and without tools etc.

I haven't got a clue how to do this. Do I understand you?

Banned
    Mark, how does this work on your Macs?

http://odin.prohosting.com/~oldnew/f...ting/test.html

Works perfect on mine.

what's the solution?

This is what I was wondering, is can we accomplish this with FSCommand. Can FSCommand be used for this sort of thing?

Originally posted by oldnewbie
    Mark, how does this work on your Macs?

http://odin.prohosting.com/~oldnew/f...ting/test.html
    When I click the link you gave me, a new page opens (just has a skinny banner on it with the links: ProHosting Custom cgi login sign-up) and then another window opens without tools, scrollbars etc and at a specific size.

The only problem I see is there doesn't appear to be any Flash file?it looks (without having looked at the code) as though it's all embeded in the HTML page. Try doing the same by putting a button in Flash and making it do everything your link did accept since it is a button, the user can click on it and THEN the new window will open, less scrolls, location etc.

Again, for simplicity sake, lets make a Flash file that just has a button in it. Apply actions that will open a page at a certain size and without scrollbars, location etc.

That is what we need to target, no pun intended.

Banned
    On your Mac?

No, wasn't using FSCommand! Just javascript in the html, rather than having it in the flash movie itself.

Now the getURL in the movie could just call the javascript function contained in the html, rather then having the whole function in the gerUrl action itself, but I don't really see the difference it would make on a Mac or PC.

Maybe the void() and focus() are causing the problem!

I just had a look at the source code for the page with the skinny banner on it. It looks like as soon as the page opens, it opens the new browser. That's not what I'm trying to do. Remember, an swf with a button in it that can be clicked to open a new page yadda, yadda.

Banned
    Don't bother about the proHosting page, that's where your movie intro would be. But didn't you see Yahoo's site in the popup? On the Macs that is!

yes, on my Mac. but as said, there is the flash button issue.

I'm willing to do it how ever it needs to be done, if I can comprehend it, that is.

I'll be checking in on this here topic regularly. I sure hope you guys figure it out, because this is all very new to me, and this particular subject is the only thing that is troubling me about my site.

Thanks for all your efforts oldnewbie, you're great!

Yes, I did see the page open up but it was called on by javascript in the HTML page.

I'll tell you what, I'm going to build a file and attach it to my next message. Should take me about 10 minutes if you're going to be up that long.

Banned
    That's not the point! If it works for you from the html in my example, than it should work if the getURL in the movie calls that function, rather than holding the whole function itself. Get it.
    But as I said earlier, don't see why that would make a difference! And I suspect the end part of the getURL (void() and/or focus()) might be causing the problem with Macs.
    I'll do some other testing on my own, while you draw up yours.