A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clip Parameters in MX

Sr. Member and still clueless!

Clip Parameters in MX

I'm going through a preloader tutorial that I found on the Macromedia site. It was built in Flash 5. It says:

Choose Window > Panels > Clip Parameters

I'm working in MX and I don't see this, where would I find it? Id did find Window > Component Parameters but there is nothing listed in the window that pops up. I did click on the object that has parameters set to it.

A little help?

Senile member! :)
    It sounds like it's a smartClip. And unfortunatly MX does not support smartclips. They have been replaced with components.

/Mirandir

Yea that's right, it is a smartClip. It's job was for me to tell it at what frame number I wanted it to buffer to and what message I wanted it to display.

Are there "components" that do the same thing that I can download?

I have just answered my own question. I found components at the Macromedia Exchange site and I found a frame based component that all I have to do is drop it into frame one and set the frame number I want it to load to (Window/Component Parameters).

I found it at:

http://dynamic.macromedia.com/bin/MM...&extOid=708924

Coolness

Banned
    Up already Mark?

I've been meaning to tell you this. Checked both of your movies (intro and the main one), last night on my old 56k dialup, and I must say they both stream miserably, on a dialup. You should add preloaders to them.

On this matter, components and or other "Export on the first frame" stuff will keep your preloaders from displaying properly, even more so if your preloader is a component. I have a very long thread on that exact subject here on FK:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=375161

Actually I've been up since 8:00 A.M. (3.5 hours sleep) to get my son off to school.

Yes, thanks for doing a dialup check, I don't have that kind of service. If I ever get a job again, I'll be able to afford the extra bux to get it or if I get more freelance work.

I just put a preloader on the intro movie: have a peak. I have some probems with the bar and the % (part of the bar doesn't go large enough and the % loads to 144% instead of 100%.

http://www.t-i-w.com/staging/edpead/index.html

Let me know what you think of it, I may use it for the main movie as well but now, my wife has got her hands around my throat because it's her day off and she has plans so I'll have to depart for a while.

I will check out your thread. Thanks again—you're a trooper. Oh, Schlep may be looking for you. He e-mailed me and I sent him my notes from our chat last night.

Mark

Banned
    I'm going out also, but if you e-mail me your preloader .fla, I'll look it up when I'm back!

Howdy,

Have a peak now, I made some changes but in Netscape (Mac, haven't tested NN on Win) all I see is a white box. IE on Mac and Win, it jumps to the frame that has "Click to play Intro" but I'm not sure if that's because there is a problem in the AS or if my browsers have it cached. I emptied the cache but same thing.

http://www.t-i-w.com/staging/edpead/index.html

I zipped up the intro again. Should be finished uploading in about 5 minutes at:

http://www.t-i-w.com/downloads/intro.zip

I also included the ".mxp" file I'm using, backup to just http://www.t-i-w.com/downloads to see it. I've altered it a little to accomdate my intro movie.

Mark

Banned
    You now have to press "Refresh" to see the Click button, otherwise nothing! Were using this component in your earlier test?

Will download your zip. But I hate preloader components, you shouldn't use them.

No, I didn't have a component in my earlier version, just the one you have downloaded.

A am not committed to the component method, if you have a better idea, let me know. I learned how to make a preloader a while back that involved putting part of it in scene one with the rest in scene two (where the main movie would be) but it seemed like it could be done better some other way so I tried the component. Please tell me what you think, I'm taking notes.

Mark

Banned
    Can't you just send me the first preloader code you were first using?
    If you make it true this "bestman" sh...!

The one that uses multiple scenes? I haven't used it yet for this project, just the component method but I can send you the multi scene version if you like.

I just realized what you are talking about, you're talking about the little countdown I had 54321, right? That's not even a preloader, just numbers on the time line I put them there because I had to space the timeline out and want people to know that something was happening, other than that, just the component thing.

Sorry about that, I've been told that it's very difficult to extract information from me.

Banned
    NAH! I ment the blue line you had going up to 144% on your first test.
    Was that the component also?

Yes it was. I have downloaded your "preload Folder". Why don't I have a look at it and get back to you later when I'm thouroughly confused? I have a bunch of stuff I have to do now and I don't want you staying up till 4:00 AM again.

Cool?

Banned
    The wife just came back... And you can bet she won't let me at the keybooard that late! Catch you later!

I forgot to mention, the intro.zip version has the preloader you were looking for accept I altered a number in it putting it back to it's original value of 100 and there was a play command that I changed so it would target the root level.

I'm going to check out your files this weekend. Gotta go out now.

Thanks again.

Good for you, now go outside and stare at some things that are a long way away so you can get rid of the nearsightedness you've probably developed like me from looking at the computer screen too long!!

Have a good one.

Banned
    Here's what my preloader adapted to your intro movie looks like:
    (coudn't add it to your main movie, because I ain't got the .fla - but it would the same).

http://blake.prohosting.com/~tektips/windowblues.html

Of course on a fast connection, it goes pretty fast but works. And remember to clear your internet cache between tests.

You coud change the displayed elements...

Going out till late tonight, send me your e-mail if you would like me to send you the file.

Hey that's perfect!!