A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: deadline looming...i need load movie help

deadline looming...i need load movie help

I'm having problems with 'load movie'.

my main flash movie contains an empty movie clip with an instance name of 'img_holder' into which i am loading different external swf files. most of these external movies are just images, but some of them contain text and these are the ones i'm having problems with.

I am using this code to load the swf files in :

Code:
    on(release){
    _root.img_holder.loadMovie("1802.swf");
    }
    "1802.swf" is a flash file that contains some scrolling text.
    download the fla file here

when i click on a button to load the 1802.swf into my main flash movie the scrolling down works fine, but for some reason when i want to scroll back up to the top of the text nothing happens when i press the up button. if i test the 1802 movie independantly everything works fine. ??? why is this?

i have a hunch that the solution is something to do with the instance name text_scroller in the 1802 movie and that when this swf file is loaded into the main movie the instance name isn't so i'll have to dynamically create this. might be barking up the wrong tree here, but i don't know how to do that . anyone know?

any help with this would be great as i have to have this done by sunday evening (aaaaarrrrgh)

as a p.s. i don't want to dynamically load my text in so would appreciate folk telling me to do that instead. the way i have my files set up is so that i am loading swf files into my main movie so that as each one is loaded the previous one is deleted, and its too late in the day to change things now.

please help. if someone could look at the fla file and tell me if i'm doing anything wrong that'd be great, or tell me that i'm right with the ionstance name hunch and tell me how to solve that.

cheers
    e
    Attached Files Attached Files

maybe try
    on(release){
    loadMovie("1802.swf",img_holder)}
    i think that might work better but i dunno.

hope that helps a bit

Banned
    Your instance name hunch is a better one. Tried to download your .fla but got an Unexpected file error in MX?

Suggest you upload your .fla to your site and give us a link to it, or try to re-attach a new one to this board.

Meanwhile, you can allways add a trace action in your scroll movie clip, which will output the correct path to that movie clip (in the output window), when testing it in your main movie.
    Simply add trace(this); on the first frame of that movie clip (in 1802.fla), then test your main movie and use the outputed path in your scroll buttons in the 1802.fla.

I don't see any loadMovie action, are you sure it is the right fla?
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Banned
    He posted the .fla of the movie he's loading in another main movie, which he hasn't posted, but that you would have to create to test this... But I still get an Unexpected File format error?

I am not a magician to know that. I think the problem is that he has a mac , since I have no problems downloading the file and it is immediately present with the mac icon. I have similar problems with Flash movies from pC.

I made a template movie and it works.

eskymo, are you sure you have given a name to the empty movieclip by clicking on it and writing a name in the property inspector?

Banned
    I also suspect he has used his own scrolling code, and he might be referring to _root without adding the instance name of his container clip (in your template movie), in his 1802.fla.

just to clarify...the he is a she...and the problem has been solved...it was a problem that in my external file i used the path _root when i should've been using _parent as when loaded into the main flash file _root would refer to the main timeline of the main movie not the loaded movie.

i am on a mac and can download the attached file from my site and also fromt he link provided on this thread.

thanks for your help and your time...deadline still looming and nearly finished now.

e

Banned
    Just to let "she" know... _root should also work if "she" added the instance name of the holder clip of the main movie, whenever "she" referred to _root in "her" 1802.fla.

_root.instance_name_of_holder_clip.whatever_code;

Oldnewbie !!!!