A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Does anyone know how to create this effect - link attached

Does anyone know how to create this effect - link attached

Here is the link http://www.willaford.org/

#1 On the main page there are a picture of Willa Ford (I'm interested in the close up of her face with the graph type design over it.

#2 The photo right next to it that's cut out. I've been trying to master the cut out photo type effect forever and I just can't seem to get it (there must be a easier way to accomplish that effect - so many people use it). Any tutorials, .flas advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

the close up of the face, the graph effect would have been done by a filter in photoshop and the cut-out can also be done in Photoshop by using the lasso tool cut around the object (in this case her top) then put onto another layer, then the botton layer (her body) you adust the colour to grayscale.

hope that helps

toony

take a look at the tutorial thread above, some good links in there.
    Last edited by toony; 01-12-2003 at 01:41 PM.

The graph effect is a grid pattern. They are very simple to make.
    Create a new document. 10 pixels by 10 pixels, transparent background.
    In the center of the document create a square, color of your choice. I did this by using the marquee tool, and filling the selection. Leave a lot of room around the edges, so make the square only 4 or 5 pixels high. You can experiment with the size of the document and size of the square to get the exact effect you are looking for.
    Click edit, Define Pattern. Name the pattern and click OK.

Open the image that you want to use the grid pattern with in a new document.
    Create a new layer.
    Click edit, Fill.
    Under contents Use: select Pattern and under the Custom Pattern: select the new pattern that you just created. Click OK.
    The layer will fill with this pattern. You can experiment with the look by changing the opacity of the layer and selecting a different layer effect, i.e. Overlay.

The cut out is not easy to do well. You can use the lasso tool or the mask tool to make the selection to cut out, but is very hard to control and difficult or almost impossible around hair. The extract tool could be of help to you. I don't have a tutorial, but did a search for tutorials on the extract tool and came up with quite a few. Here is one.
    http://webdesign.about.com/library/weekly/aa090501a.htm