A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: smooth site

smooth site

Just finished my latest version of my design website. I know the font is a little blurry but i dont wanna by those damn flash fonts yet. Let me know what ya think and thanks for taking your time to cretique my site.

http://www.etcmediagroup.com

Peace,

Ed

not too shabby

As you said, the font is a tab blurry. The design itself appears fairly clean, and the navigation straightforward. You seem to be short on content though.. but it looks like an ongoing project so thats okay.

My question is this. I dont know what future plans you have in store for this, so this may be a moot point. But at least so far, you havent done anything to warrant the use of flash, save for the rollover effect on your buttons, thefade in of text when clicking on said buttons, and your preloader.

Just seems like most design firms use their own flash site as a display of eye candy to attract customers, and yours is lacking in such ( at least at present time ). But like I said, I dont know your plans for it, and if this is what you wanted it to be, then you've done it.

My 2 cents anyways.
    Why use flash? Why do it any other way...

Nice

I really liked how it was simple and straight forward, i like your site. I like the Cleanness of it and the over all graphic design of the thing. It does have a lack of content tho. And you really need to clean up the text, it is pretty blurry. Maybe you should change the pic that is in the 4 corners also, i dunno, i am just not diggin it. But the site looks great. GJ. Later.
    Last edited by RBSTUDIOS; 01-16-2003 at 03:09 PM.

This has a nice, clean, distinctive look.

I find it annoying when you can't select text in standard text-flows. I like to kinda roll my mouse down the text as I'm reading it.

The logo-placement in the corner doesn't work that well. It took me a moment before I figured out what it was. But that might be an opportunity to do something 'flashier'.

I like the choice of imagery, but there's one thing that bugs me a bit about it:
    If you ignore the right side and just look at the left side, (or vice versa) it seems that the white box runs right over top of the image, because there is a chunk of the image missing in the middle. And that's fine.
    But then, if you do the same with the two bottom images, it doesn't look like the white is covering the image, it looks like the images have been seperated (because they'd line up if pushed together).
    So there's two different optical strategies at work here, and think there's something off-putting a little about the way that the perspective and everything doesn't match up. My eye wants to follow the road lines towards the vanishing point, except that the two sides have different vanishing points.

That said, I really like the snowy road scene as far as a choice of images. If you can find some way to make it work a bit better, great.

Overall, it's great, though. I like the overall shape with the four corners a lot.

#

FYI... lots of free bitmap fonts at http://www.dafont.com/en/bitmap.php Maybe you'll find some you like.

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions.

Fireball - I could put more eye candy in it I suppose however, my objective for the site was to be simple, clean and smooth. So, as of right now I probably won't add any more eyecandy.

RBSTUDIOS - I'll change the picture when it's spring time. Thanks though.

octothorp - the logos in the corner are simply eyecandy. most people probably won't even notice it and that won't matter. those four [e]'s are nothing significant just eyecandy. What I did was make that photo 760x420 and then I masked the corners only revealing that picture in the corners. I understand there is an optical problem with it and I'll look into fixin that problem.

JayCharles - Thanks bro, awesome.

Eye Candy, it is great I have to admit, but a site does not have to have Eye Candy to be great, or to warrant using Flash. Personally I think making a website in Flash is way easier than using standard Dreamweaver. I can move things, animate, whatever, so much easier in flash. Just becuase one does not use eye candy does not mean it should be done in regular HTML as for me I think using Flash is easier and faster.

Personally I am still learning how to do some eye Candy, so as I learn I would add more ..

Mr Snowman
    A drinking village with a fishing problem

Flash vs Dreamweaver

I have to agree with the previous writer. Flash is a more efficient creater of web sites. The big proviso is that you make the size small.

The design is clean, the split imagery does mess with the eye, top image pair vs bottom. It is a small point but for a polished product I would recommend changing it.

I agree about the Font. Try Verdana, use device fonts and corner it on integers. Better than blurry cool text.
    Life is just a bunch of swf's

So much to do, so little done.
    Hi,

I guess, if you know that the fonts have a problem (they gave me a headache infact!!), you should use some normal font instead. Even Arial would do.

Otherwise neat site. Complete it quickly though and add some music if you feel like.

Cheers!

Ani.