A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: falling letters in balthaser.com intro

How were the falling letters created and made to fall in the intro portion of the balthaser.com site?

Lightbulb

I dont realy have much of a clue, but I think that if you made of movie clip for every letter you could do it... Just make a motion tween of the letter moving from top to bottom and give it how ever many rotations and give it a slight alpha effect.

If that doesnt work then my advice is:

Somethings we just arn't meant to know.

the effect you are talking about seems to be made mainly playing around a bit with the SWISH 1.0 application that generates flash text animations easier than working with motion tweens...try it you can download a copy from the flashkit site.

hoping this helps you.

see thats what I thought at first, but then I realized that there is not a text effect for it...I am pretty good in swish animation so I dont know.

Originally posted by FishBrain
    see thats what I thought at first, but then I realized that there is not a text effect for it...I am pretty good in swish animation so I dont know.
    That is I guess combining effects... but I will let ya no more once I will try to experiment myself with Swish on that type of effect and if I get a good result I will email you the source file... ok?

Greetings...

sounds good man...I am clueless I have been screwin around with it for a while but only got a similar effect and it doesnt look to good...

Actually, this effect can not be created currently with Swish 1.0 or 1.1. This effect was done with actionscripting.

The effect can be duplicated by telling the script which character you would like to display. Mind you, I am no expert at actionscripting.

You could tell the script to play either a random character or have a predetermined pattern like balthaser has. The predetermined is better because you know the play time, where as the random would need additional code to make certain that the same character did not play twice.

Find a tutorial or download on flying text and then play with the effect. Add some varibles to control which character is displayed when and you probably can achieve the same effect.

Swish is great and I use it frequently, yet it does not have the capabilities that you speak of here, not yet anyway.

well like I said I got something pretty similar, but I didn't think that swish was capable of it. Still Swish is well worth my $30.

Smile

Fishbrain,

I most certainly agree with you. Swish is a great way to get complex text effects without the need to learn actionscripting. Like I said, I use it all the time. Almost every button in the site I am currently building has a Swish effect. Here check it out, remember it is very much in the construction phase!

http://www.centurycorrosion.com/flash.home.html

Thats a nice page man, I like the exploding blue text thing. The intro the with the blue wave and the letters...the timing is a little off on the wave if thats what you were goin for. Oh yeah I was working on the effect and I think I might just have got it...I'll submit it and if you dont want to wait then I'll email you a copy.

Just noticed a mistake or 2:

Thier text rotates counterclockwise and mine goes clockwise.
    Thier text looks anit-alias or something and mine is crisper or a brighter color.

But it is pretty close..hey if nothing else its a step.