dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d max I need help

3d max I need help

Can someone point me in the right direction to a tutorial or tell me how to. Im wanting to do a logo from scratch. by extruding from lines drawn in front viewport. Can someone please help me.
    thanks

What part? The line? The extrude?
    Hello.

ok if i was to design a none smoking sign, circle with a diagonal. How would i go about starting that?
    thanks wmleebo

just draw it with the splines, then use the extrude modifier, it should make it 3d, or to make it easier and more exact, draw it in flash, export it as an adobe illustrator file, then import that into the 3d app. then extrude it
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

yes i know this but i am needing details, i went to extrude and for instance to make an object that needs a hole puched out i couldnt get the boolean to work right cause my extrude wasnt capped. do you know of a tutorial that explains this or maybe tell me with details?

boolean?..you don't even need to do that to make a 3d logo, you want it like the pic attached right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

im just using that as an example, but the design im looking for will have the same aspects to it, ie. wholes in it.
    thanks for the help

tell us what exactly you want so we can be more specific to help you...each and every task is its own problem..each thing is treated differently, i just need to know how to approach it..i know the boolean makes holes..but it does a horrible job at it, its the last thing i will ever depend on
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

I would like to be able to make my logo. http://home.earthlink.net/~ahansen27...ons/logo2b.jpg
    the way i would aproach it is doing a spline outline, but that leaves the problem of the holes in the A and G. so the most i know how to do is the outline and i attempted the extrude but it left the back uncapped. does this help?
    thanks vatcher

you could either use the spline tools within 3ds max or you could import an *.ai file. either way, the "holes" in the A and G will work fine when you extrude the logo.

there is absolutely no need for boolean. just simple line/shape tools (splines) and extrude the closed shape or
    that's really not too hard within 3ds max to draw and will work as stated above without an issue.

good luck

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

so do i have to link the holes with the outline?

noyou do not need to link the inside hole with the outside, just click on the spline and go to the modifier stack..go into the spline edit mode and press the 'verticies' option whcih looks like a bunch of red dots..scroll down and look for a button that says 'create line' click that and then draw the lines respectivly. this will of coarse make the spline one full spline so when you extrude it extrudes the whole letter, and even leaves a hole where you wanted it to
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

awesome that is what i was looking for thank you, but what about the uncapped back? is there an option for that?

there is a modifier that caps the holes...should be labeled respectivly
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

" Lets Rock ! ....... " NitroCharged's Avatar
    Here's how I would handle this: might not be the best, might not be right, but worx for me

I would convert those logo letters to a font set and that way I could mess heavily with bevels, edges and the whole plethora of choices in the font modifier list - making it really fast to work with.

Click here to see what I got by doing that and adding a chrome bitmap to the environment for the reflectivity while the text sits on a plain white box
    Last edited by NitroCharged; 01-21-2003 at 09:58 PM.

Hey that is an interesting way to solve it nitro, how did you go about converting it to a font set? im curious was there a size problem cause it looks like it had to be cut in the center?

No size problem,
    right after I converted the 2 letters to ttf, I realised there was no need to do them individually! Doh!!!
    Will redo as one symbol - gimme 5

how did you convert it to a font set?

I created the font using a font maker program, some out there are free, others cost.
    The result:

The image is slightly different - for some reason the last file I saved won't open now, so I had to redo the colors, position etc

Well that does seem like the easiest way for that situation.