dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: vector graphics - seasons recordings

vector graphics - seasons recordings

I'm wondering about the technique used on the artwork at http://www.seasonsrecordings.com/

It looks like they just traced regular images, but it's done so well and smoothly. I don't think this is done in Flash, but I could be wrong. What prog did they use? or if they used photoshop, does anyone know how they did this technique?

this is either done in flash or adobe streamline.

both can give you the same result..

would it not be illustrator? I don't know much about vector software.

don't think so.. would have been to much work.

finky fonk
    its definitly streamline. you could create the same effect tracing a photo in a vector app like illustrator or freehand but the images on the seasons website look like they were bitmaps that have been run thru streamline.- its an adobe product, you might be able to download a demo at

http://www.adobe.com

cheers

fink
    http://www.20three.com

yea, i would say streamline as well. although they could have been hand traced as well. i dont think it would take THAT long to hand trace those.

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I just really like how it has that almost painted look to it. I'm not normally a 2advanced fan, but this is different than their typically conventional work. I quite like the feel of the design, I think it works well. Thanks again, I'll have to get my hands on streamline.

hmm...I tried using streamline and I can't seem to get any photos I'm converting to look as smooth as there's. Does anyone else know how to use this program well enough to tell me how to achieve this?

i think you should just hand trace the thing. that way you can get it the way you want it.

finky fonk
    .........or use the 'cutout' filter in photoshop to simplify your image, import to flash - trace bitmap. should do the trick
    http://www.20three.com

All right everyone, I will tell you all exactly how it was done.

First a few comments, I love that site. I would easily say it is one of my latest favs. The first music loop kicks ass. I actually wrote a review a while ago for the site:
    www.theartofevolution.com/frames/main.htm
    I agree that it is not usual 2A, they always amaze me....

Ok, here's how it is done. Import an image into flash. Any Size, res, whatever. Under the main menu, choose Modify > Trace Bitmap. Fool with the settings in there. (I won't explain them now, but if anyone wants to know what all those mean, I will explain.)

Now your image is vectorized and can be scaled.

To get that effect of "hazing" He just took one instance of the image slightly larger on top of another one, and faded the alpha out. An absolutely brilliant method that brings out the sharp edges of the image once it is vectorized.

You can get some awesome effects by vectorizing video like that - I am sure there is a tutorial somewhere at Flashkit for that. If anyone wants to know how to do it and can't find a tut, email me and I will post one.

Hope that clears it up.

FrequeNC
    www.theartofevolution.com

FrequeNC - is it best to trace all bitmaps in a flash file to make them vector? or do you only do this for certain things?
    my way or the high way

I only use the trace bitmap function in Flash for images that I want to get that strange effect with. Just a quick explanation of the functions of trace bitmap:

Color threshold = the lower the number the more colors it will recognize. Say you set it low, to one. It will recognize every shade of color and trace individually. Rather than setting it higher, say 50, it would recognize a group of hues of say blue, and convert them all to the same color output.

Minimum area = The lower the number the smaller the area it looks to trace all of those colors. If you set that to one, it will take a group of one pixel, and then relate it to your color threshold, if your color threshold is high, it will make them the same, if it is low, it will keep them different hues.

Curve fit and Corners are self explanatory. I hope I have not confused anyone. Basically, the lower your numbers are in the top fields, the more precise your image will come out. The higher, the more "painted" your image will look.

If I am ever tracing a logo or something more simple that I need to be a vector, I trace it by hand in Freehand.

FrequeNC