A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Script in Flash 4 vs. MX

Script in Flash 4 vs. MX

So far I have only worked with Flash 4 (let the flaming begin...) . I can do some decent scripting in it, but now I'm starting to work with MX.
    I know scripting has changed a lot with the release of Flash 5, but I was wondering just how different MX scripting is from Flash 4. Would I need to learn everything again from scratch or are there at least some similarities in syntax and commands used?
    And are there any other differences between midevil Flash 4 and MX that I should know of?
    If anyone could give me some decent info, thx!!

The sam command s are there but you write them a little different.
    For ex , Tell target is of no or little use anymore.

What used to be

TellTarget(/myMC/anotherMC)
    gotoAndPlay(3)
    End Tell Target

..will in MX be..

myMC.anotherMC.gotoAndPlay(3);

The dot syntax is great.

And there is a lot of new and exiting actions that makes life a little easier. And a interface with the new property inspector that changes depending on what object you click on, code checkers, search and replace, video, load jpgs..... The list is long.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

Thx!
    I tried some of the tutorials and I figure I'll get the hang of it pretty quickly! Just wish I had a bigger monitor than my crusty old 17".

Anyway, I'm still looking for a good Flash MX book, something containing lots of info on scripts and with some decent info on how to link to databases and such... anyone have any tips what book I could buy (online) and where?