A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Scaling a GIF image

Scaling a GIF image

Hi,

When I try to scale a 550x400 GIF to a smaller size (let's say 50%) in Photoshop 6, the GIF is distorted and not smooth as the first size.

Is there a way to deal with this? I've tried many options (cganging to RGB-color instead of Indexed color etc.) but nothing works.

Many thanx!

Michiel

Start by loading the image you want to scale into your paint program and convert it into a 24 bit color image.

A .gif image is at the most, 256 colors and could be much less if it has been optimized so converting it to 24 bit color will allow it to use the full color spectrum as it re-maps after scaling.

2. Convert the resolution from 72 DPI (or whatever it is) to 300 DPI.

This will allow the use of a lot more dots when remapping although you will probably not initially see any change in the image.

3. Resize the image until you have it at the final size you wish to use. Note that experimenting with slightly different values of scale can produce different results.

For example, if scaling an image down to 40% leaves it looking bad, try 36%, 38%, 42% or 44%.

4. After finding the optimum setting for your scaled image you will notice that it has become a little fuzzy, this is typical and can be corrected with a sharpness effect.

Most all paint programs have a sharpness filter or effect, use it to clarify edges and brighten the scaled image back to its original condition.

Again, trial and error is the best way to apply sharpness, start with a little and gradually increase it until you are satisfied.

5. Now you are ready to save the finished image back to a .gif file. Some paint programs convert the image automatically as discussed in the optimizing tutorial. Others may require you to manually convert it back to 72 DPI and 256 color before your save.

Not my text!!

Thanx!

Thank you Getret, it was helpful. Adjusting the resolution was the key thing in my experience.

Regards,
    Michiel

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    Good to know a more efficent way.
    Last edited by teow; 01-28-2003 at 11:38 AM.

<<< Hopefully less of an a**.