A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Prices

Question

I would like to ask how can I price the development of exclusive games, considering from the simplest to the most complex level. Somebody could help me?

Senior Moderator
    Well i charge About $50 Am Hour For Complex Games And $25 An Hour For The Simpler Games And That Is A Fair Price So I Would Say Something Around That Price!!

I Get Alot Of Customers At That Price Too!!

Smile

Hi FlashGuru! Thanks for replying. That was around what I had in mind, but you are talking about how many hours each?

Well, here, were i work, such developpement cost 400$ per day, for a simple game !

for more complex game, it depends on lot of things.
    but i am in France and dunno if such prices may help you !

Akané

Talking

Thanks Akane. I think that these values are reasonable, but I would like to know how much time a professional takes to develop games the kind I develop. You can find my games at "www.gincanapremiada.com.br" and "www.guga.com.br". You will find seven more on next week. The problem is that now I will have to price it by myself and I still have this doubts.

45$ to 75$ per hour

Yes, but how many hours (average time) are necessary for the development? Without a reference, I do not know if I am too fast or too slow.

aww
    hard to answer this.
    for my game, buta-craft, i spent 1 month and a half, while now, i'd spend 2 weeks to do the same thing !

I did the basketball game at http://www.durasound.com
    in one afternoon, then spent a few hours the next day adding a few extra things and just trying to think of what to add to improve the game.

So I'd say 12 hours to get to where it is right now.
    I know this sounds very fast, but sometimes it happens. I've spent much more time on crappier stuff.

This one just sort of happened the right way.

So by 12 hours times $75 it would be $900.

I think that is way too cheap and does not happen this way in normal situations. With this one there was nobody telling me what to do [ even though the site is not mine and I can't tell you how much it really cost. The entire site with 2 games was at a preset price ].
    It just happened to turn out pretty good so I used it [ all they knew was "we want a couple of games" ]

Any decent game would be at least a couple of thousand.

i really agree with this price, a decent game costs $2000 at least.

We currently base our custom game projects around $80 Canadian ($50 USD)/hr.

If you begin by calculating the time required to complete each milestone of your game, you should be able to accurately estimate your time.

GMonteiro don't worry if your fast or slow. Just respect your time, and let the customer decide if your worth it.

Hope this helps.
    Later.

Thank you guys!! That is what a call Help!
    <This seems to be an interesting subject considering the number of views.>
    Anything, anytime... just call.

Test your boundaries

When I started charging for Flsah work people always told me "don't sell yourself short."

I agree with this. In the beginning I thought...what is my time worth for this project, then I took a little money off this price (to build a portfolio). Then every project I upped the price.

I started out at $10/hour, within 3 weekds I was up to $50/hour.

My last game proposal was for $25,000 for 3 people to create 3 games in 3 weeks (simple games). Now thats what I am talking about! I dont charge by the hour anymore, but per project.

So basically what I am saying is start reasonable, then push the boundaries with every new project. If people start rejecting your proposals then you may need to re-evaluate your strategies.

Hope this helps.

Jobe Makar
    Ultimate Arcade

http://www.ultimatearcade.com