dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: transparent background with image

transparent background with image

I am trying to bring an outline image that I cut in Photoshop. In Photoshop I can select just the image of the car, but when I try to bring the image into Flash, the image comes in as a square with white background instead of transparent like in Photoshop.

What am I doing wrong? Surly you can do this in flash?

Thanks all,
    -Phat330Ci - phat330ci@hotmail.com - 10717designs.com

I don't think so...could try saving as a .PNG and importing into flash, but thinking about it I don't think that will work either.

I don't ive been able to do it.

If you import the image as png you will be able to keep the background as transparent. The image won't be just the shape of the car, it will still be square, but the background will be transparent.

Originally posted by rusty2000
    If you import the image as png you will be able to keep the background as transparent. The image won't be just the shape of the car, it will still be square, but the background will be transparent.
    How do I save the PNG in photoshop? When I save it and import it in Flash, I still see a white background and not a transparent bg.

Thanks!

In Photoshop, make sure your image has a transparent background. Under file, choose Save for web. When the optimize window opens up, look on the right hand side of the window for the menu. There will be an area called settings. Click on the arrow for the drop down menu and choose PNG-24. In Photoshop 7, right underneath this drop down window is a check box for Transparency. Not sure if it is in the same place in earlier versions, but probably is in the same area. Make sure this is checked, otherwise the background will not be transparent. Save the file. In Flash, under file, choose Import and navigate to your file and open it into Flash. The background should be transparent.

Originally posted by rusty2000
    In Photoshop, make sure your image has a transparent background. Under file, choose Save for web. When the optimize window opens up, look on the right hand side of the window for the menu. There will be an area called settings. Click on the arrow for the drop down menu and choose PNG-24. In Photoshop 7, right underneath this drop down window is a check box for Transparency. Not sure if it is in the same place in earlier versions, but probably is in the same area. Make sure this is checked, otherwise the background will not be transparent. Save the file. In Flash, under file, choose Import and navigate to your file and open it into Flash. The background should be transparent.

Thanks! I will give this a try.

Select the image,go to channels,make a new channel fill this selection with white.Go back to your layer palette.Flatten image.Know save as a png with the option path.When importing in flash it will ask if it has to import ... Allways say yes and you'll have what you wanted,works great.Grtz

Originally posted by modulater
    Select the image,go to channels,make a new channel fill this selection with white.Go back to your layer palette.Flatten image.Know save as a png with the option path.When importing in flash it will ask if it has to import ... Allways say yes and you'll have what you wanted,works great.Grtz
    Sweet! I will try this also! Thanks all!

Awesome, I've been looking for this solution for quite some time. Your suggestion worked perfect!

how do you save as png with the option path?

when you save as png,click ok,then you'll get a menu select path,click ok.For me it works like this,i'm working on mac platform maybe this function is not availeble for pc,can't tell.
    Grtz

I am on a PC and when I save as png, I do get a pop up window called PNG options, but the only options are for Interlace - none or interlaced.

What difference does the two techniques, the channel method and save for web option, have, if any, when the image is imported into Flash?

I just ried things out for you.If you save with the option interlaced it will work also,if you made the channel.I guess this option is better in quality then save for web.What i'm sure of you'll have total control over your image,transparancy.Let's say you want an illustration with a fading border,background transparant.>then you would select your image>go to channels>make new channel>fill the selection with white.to get the fading border you know go to feather>say feather 15 for instance.Know this is applied to the channel.When you go to your layer apply the same feather.If you would import this into flash you'll see the results.When you've made the feather in the channel you'll still can apply other filter giving different effects to the border.like pixelize for instance.Try this out>go to channel use the selection,fill with a gradient in the direction you'll want>save as pgn.You'll see it has lot's more possibility's .Channels work like this>white is visible,black is not visible>so when you use your brush for instance and paint with say 50%hardness a dot in the selection this spot whill be 50% transparent.Seem to get it8try things out and you'll probebly go for this option.Grtzz