A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Read any good books?

Read any good books?

Ok well as most of you know by now , im new to flash and what now. I asked a whiel ago if there were any good books out there, someone told me no good actual flash books out there, but he reccomend possibly getting a actionscrtip book. (i would much rather have a book than read online stuff all the time)

So my ? to you all is what are some really good actionscrtipting books and websites out there that take you throught the basics, and also take you to the advanced levels as well. Also if there are any good flash books that woudl be helpful to

Hi,

One of the best books I've gotten on Actionscript is the Macromedia Flash MX Designer's ActionScript Reference by friends of ed. It has great tutorials(although you will need to have some grasp of actionscript) and the full (easier to understand) reference. Plus the cd comes with all the codes for each chapter. It's right next to me every time I use Flash MX. A must have. Check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72704?v=glance

thanks

hey i really appreciate it. I may consider buying it, the thing is tho, i dont really have a big grasp on actionscttiping. I mean i knwo a few lil scritps and what they mean, but its nothing major, so im pretty much a realy beginner to all of this so, would you still recoomend it?

I would...and I'll tell you why. Some of the chapters are difficult(The drawing API(4), modular programming(15), object oriented programming(16)), definitly not for the novice. The BIG draw here is the easy to understand reference. Once you get better at actionscripting this will come in handy. Chapters like the sound object(5), color object(6) and structuring content for the web(11) are easy to follow and understand. It's big (1080 pgs) and amazon.com offers it at $35 not $50. Bottom line, it's worth the price of admission...A-

sounds good

I think ill put it on my agenda of "things to purchase" but another ? i was reading this sites tutorial on basic preloaders and well it has a area for bar preloaders.. but the thing is that link is a deadlink so anyone knwo hwo to make bar preloaders? Oh and one more thing in the very first simple preloader , wat font is used?

Colin Moock's
    asdg2

Grasp on ActionScript

To understand ActionScript, start by learning OOP (Object Oriented Programming). ActionScript is very intuitive once you know the dynamics of OOP. If you have ever built an application in MS Access using the VBA, then you should be able to pickup ActionScript in minutes. Basically what you are doing is reading, writing, or comparing values of something like button1.label and deciding if the value suits your needs or should be updated. If the property that you want to control is not in the current UI(User Interface) then you can usually access it something like LayerName.button1.label providing you have logically named your elements, this type of structure becomes very easy to read & debug. Using variables help to span many hurdles.

I hope this gives you a solid start on learning ActionScript Programming.
    Have fun, just don't get caught!

Originally posted by nunomira
    Colin Moock's
    asdg2
    Yeah, this book is a must, i didn't recieve my copy yet, but i read so much reviews, Penner's review was great:

http://www.ultrashock.com/news/review01.htm
    h88

thanks

thanks guys

i have always been partial to Visual Quick Pro: Flash Advanced. its good for those of us who learn visually.