A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: complete page up and running!

complete page up and running!

Yep, there it is!

my very own PERSONAL HOMEPAGE!

please have a look at www.iellamo.com

this is a personal page, not a multi-mega-giga-hyper-
    industry page! just a personal one...

anyway, interested to know what flash-people think about it...

thanks and see you there

http://www.iellamo.com

flash people think its good. but I think all amateurs ( myself included) have slow places in their intros, where the pros, like neostream and impress software never have slow parts, and still the pros end up with real small file sizes. I have cable, and still it took a while, but the real professional sites always load quickly. how do they do it, I wonder. but still was a good intro.

http://www.yoyomhz.com

OLD New Member
    It's pretty good, sir. Much better'n I could do with so much content. (But that isn't saying very much.) Okay, I'd say GOOD for so much content. (mostly that family tree)
    My favorite part is the middle of the transition, where the colored bars go from middle to top, I like those colors together. There is a bit too much 3d/raster stuff in there, VERY boggy on any machine. Many of the text effects in the intro could be done with two separate masks. Even that logo in the top right could be done without using a jpeg or whatever.
    I'd also get rid of the typewriter sound, maybe something lighter? Oh, and by the way of sounds, watch out for poorly equalized stock sound, even in the Sound Library included in Flash. The sound that the gradiented-blue box makes is very loud in comparison to the rest. And concerning techno:... I just don't like it, usually (especially trance-ish stuff... I don't know my genres).
    You're using a bitmap for every menu item, is there any way around that? Or... If you do want to, is there some way to unite the many menu items visually (other than with location)? They seem rather unrelated, which they really are, but the navigation is supposed to have its own little unity containing many unlike things... Strangely enough, I became a bit preachy... Haha, sorry.
    Good width and height choice, most of your family probably uses 800x600 resolution, right? Everybody does... Oh man.
    There could be a VERY crisp and clean site in there, I think mostly in those colored bars in the middle of the transition. I have no idea how to go about it, though.

Oh, and what do you think about http://www.underhero.com/finished ? I'm not sure if I should let it go to the oh-so-small public just yet. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

adam
    watch out for the ubiquitous ones.

that's it!

yoda250n: yep, and you know why? because the pro's make money out of it. we don't. we do it for fun. that's why. give me us$5000.-- for the intro, and i'll reduce file size and speed it up, sure! hehehe...

infinite haver: ok, about the intro read above. anyway, think i'll get rid of that intro soon a do a shorter/faster/stylish one somewhere these days. sound= i agree. i'll fix that issue. less is more.i have to use bitmap for the menu-icons as i do not have them in any other format (and they wouldn't show all details in vector format, right?). you do not associate batman to comics? or yoda's face to mine? or an ufo to crazy? the @ sign to contact me? or a tree to the family tree? c'mon, it's not that bad, maybe you just were expecting sysmbols. nowadays people only use symbols. like a strange cubus to say "news" or any other strange surface to say "about us"...but hey, everybody has it's own style.

about your site: hey, looks nice! i like how everything fades in and the smooth transition from one chapter to the other. colors: well, you may like them, i don't.... ah, yeah, a very important issue: do not use different font styles! you use somehting like courier and then also times new roman or so....please do not! try to get things
    fixed up with all same or similar fonts. it's nicer (i think...)
    your copyright note in black is very hard to read

ok thatt's it! bye

to make it...

... load faster, you can "break" the movie in little movies, and let them load while playing one movie. You don´t need the 5000$ to do it.
    Just click here
    http://www.up200.com

idea

yep, that is a good idea, BUT

a) if the connection breaks down for a moment, the intro will
    not play smooth - it will stop and resume only, when
    data is loaded again, right?

b) please believe me, for the motivation us$5000.-- will surely
    help make it! really! hehe

thanks & bye

well...

... that´s design. An interactive preloader would help...
    Just click here
    http://www.up200.com

Where did I put that pen?
    I'm currious about a couple of things. You're using frames...can I ask why? You could utilize them better by having navigation for the whole site in one frame, right now the typical flash trap is going on where you get stuck in one part of a site and don't have immediate access to the other parts. It's minor all the same.

I'd really like to see the 2003 by iellamo.com line that appears at the top of each page moved to the bottom, especially at the begining of the intro. If that line were placed below the .:skip intro:. line, the focus of the page would be better centered on the movie.

One thing about good sites, through an intro you get a feel for the design of the site. Once it stops you're usually comfortable with how the site works and where it's going. Once your intro is complete, the site is not what I expected. You might want to try and narrow down the number of colors you're using, and settle on three type faces. One for headlines, such as the about me, one for the body copy, and one for links.

I realize that with the difference in content of each section that you've added there are different requirements for movement through the pages, but you might want to look at setting up a "universal movement" scheme for your site. This harkens back to the comment about navigation for each section on each page.

Love the Commodore 64....was talking with my brother about that, we had one of those, played "microleague baseball" on it for ages. Not sure if it was that system or another, but there was a game, Maniac Mansion...that game ruled.

Just noticed that the digitalminds information link is at the top of the page also...let me guess...

Fun site, lots of personal information, would like to see it organized a bit more uniformally.

Lincoln

doing it better

hi-ho lincoln

thanks for spending your time with my personal page.

frames:
    i wanted to center it correctly..and..hmm..errh...?

top line
    i'll move that down, thanks for the hint!

intro:
    hmmm..you were expecting a website about a clan (online games) or so? or what were you expecting after the intro? is it too, hmmm, fantasy-like? anyway, as i posted before, i'll change that intro, but now as i am reading your words, i am asking myself in what direction i'll do the intro...maybe more "personal" ?

navigation:
    yep, i know, the only thing is the "home" button in the right upper corner. normaly i am the same oppinion like you, to get access to all pages from every page. but this time i thought, there are not many sections so you can move forward/backward...maybe in v2.0 i'll change that as you told.

c64:
    maniac mansion IS a great game, hehe; and the sound, lovely....feel free to download the mp3 files with remixed c64 sounds....

digitalminds:
    guess what?!

ok, thanks again and cya....

Where did I put that pen?
    Clark,

Glad you could take so much away from my ramblings. It's nice when someone takes comments so well. I'd be glad to look through the site at any point.

Lincoln

Enjoyed your site. Very entertaining. File size is a little big but I'm on broadband and it loaded in a matter of seconds.

- pacdesco

you lost me
    skipped the intro about 6 seconds flat, that's not good
    Pictures are not high res jpg, so what's*** the waiting for?
    nice site, but not a clearrrrr 180
    'Very funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!'

thanks

ok, thanks folx

- fixed the sound
    - fixed the (c) notice (now down)

sifco: bla bla bla, yes yes, sorry- don't get all your points, but that's ok

so thanks to all who spent a few minutes of their life watching my site and posting in here!

i'll get back to all of you when V2.0 is running, hehehe!!!!