A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preloaders...

Preloaders...

Ok people, i have been studying the tutorial on this site on basic preloaders, well im basically lost, i think my actions are off or soemthing, i follow it exactly, but it seems it doesnt ever work, id psot my fla, but its to big. so anyone got any ideas? cuz im totaly lost

Banned
    Can you zip up your .fla? Can you upload it to your site, and provide a link to download it from there?

k here it is

ftp://seiken.ath.cx/Intro.zip that ios a link to my fla on my ftp site, any help woudl be appreicated.. jsut tell me what im doin wrong on it, and also kidna help me learn to build a preloader step by step or help me, any help i will greatly appreicate

Banned
    12.6MB and zipped up at that!

It's downloading! Will see what I can come up with.

lol it wouldnt compress

i have no idea, i used max compression, it sitll did not compress worth a darn, heck i dunno, jsut let me knwo when you get it and can help me

Banned
    Ok! Add a stop action on frame 80 of Scene 1.

Then correct your preloader in this manner:

Make it 2 frames.

Frame 1:

if (_framesloaded >= 80) {
    gotoAndPlay("Scene 1", 1);
    }

Frame 2:

gotoAndPlay(1);

Next get rid of the components in the Library, your not using any, and save (save as) the .fla under a new name.

As for sound, you should learn to use the soundObject, because that's the bulk of your present movie, and with that +/- 2MB song on the main timeline, that going to take a while to download on a slow connection!

http://www.kennybellew.com

Banned
    Ok! Add a stop action on frame 80 of Scene 1.

Then correct your preloader in this manner:

Make it 2 frames.

Frame 1:

if (_framesloaded >= 80) {
    gotoAndPlay("Scene 1", 1);
    }

Frame 2:

gotoAndPlay(1);

Next get rid of the components in the Library, your not using any, and save (save as) the .fla under a new name.

As for sound, you should learn to use the soundObject, because that's the bulk of your present movie, and with that +/- 2MB song on the main timeline, that's going to take a while to download on a slow connection!

http://www.kennybellew.com

uhhhh

Ok i tried doing all of that, adn i dont knwo what happend but liek it doenst show the preloader now, i dont know why, it jsut goes straight to ghe movie

Banned
    That's normal when testing this locally. If you want to test this offline, then under View, while testing your movie, select Show Streaming.

ROCK ON BRO

oldnewbie, if you werent a man or old (liek ur naem says( id kiss you it worked good, god i like want to bask inr you wisdom, all this falsh stuff seems so liek hard and advanced to me. its so overwhelmign , how did you get into it, and oldnewbie, waht books and references did you use along the way? oh btw thanks again

oh one more thing (for now heh)

explian what you meant by the soundobject deal, i woud love for my fiel to be alto smaller, its liek huge, even my skewls t1's take a while to load it, so mind teachin me how to do that? ill beo n fo ra lil while so feel free to email me @ windflare@hotmail.com i really woudl liek to talk to you beyond tehse forums, well ill be back in about 20 mins..

back

Ok old newbie im back, feel free to answer me what i asked above, also answer this... why did i need to put a stop action at the end of frame 80? also please answr my other ?'s ill be here

Banned
    Check the link I posted, that explains the use of soundObjects.

No books! Just wrecking .flas apart! Nor am I that good at it! Many questions I wouldn't answer with a 10 feet pole!

Not even in web design. Don't even have my own site! Just here to help out if I can!

Modesty...

Ah dont be so modest ya old weisenhiemer! :P you help out alot more than you may realize.. well im checkout that site now, see if i can figure anythign out, but explain to me in detail about putting the stop action in frame 80 as to why. and stuff liek that

Well about that link

Ok then about tha soundobject link, it comes down to it, i have no clue what they are saying.. what good will it do? it seems itll jsut tell me how to make contols for the sound.. i dont know im so confused argh!

Banned
    If you don't put a stop action on your Scene 1, then your movie keeps looping back to the beginning, needlessly going through the preloading code again.

As for the soundObject, well read it again, is all I can say. Mind you if you did use a soundObject, your preloader wouldn't display properly, and you'd be back here asking questions. I guess at some point you will!