dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Quick Yes/no Question!!!

Flash Honkie

Quick Yes/no Question!!!

I have 235 buttons, each button is within a movie clip. That movie clip is named 1 through 235.

On each button, I have the same function. Is there a way to put that function on every button, whether through a for or while loop, without actually putting that code on each of the buttons.

Any help is appreciated.

- Jeremy
    "Creativity is a virtue; Happiness is a reward."

The Minister of No Crap

Yes.

It will still require that you touch ever movieclip to specify that one function one the button.

Scott

Flash Honkie

hmm

I may get the same answer to this...but I don't believe that's quite what I'm looking for.

right now, every button calls the same function...but they call the functions with the on press, on rollover, on rolloff clip actions.

I know you can specify a variable value for a movieclip not in the movie itself like this:

_root.myMovieClip.id = 5;

in much the same fashion, I'd like to put this line of code on the button, without actually putting it on the button.

on (press){
    _root.myFunction(this._target, this);
    }

and the path for the movieclip that the button resides in is _root.map.15

- jeremy

Flash Honkie

Clear things up a bit

This may help clear things up, or give you an idea of why I'm asking.

http://www.islandathens.com/home2.php

the buttons are the buildings on the map and everything is dynamic but I'd like to reduce the amount of actual code I'm using.

- Jeremy

The short answer to your question is... yes. With Flash MX there is really no reason to use button anymore as movieclips support all the same events/methods. So, for example, if you have a movie clip myMovie and you want to execute a function everytime it is pressed, you can simply write:

myMovie.onPress = someFunction
    or
    myMovie.onPress = function () { trace("some action") ; }

While the details of how you should implement this idea in your code is up to you, I seriously recommend: Object-Oriented Programming with ActionScript published by New Riders. Hope that helps....

Chad
    http://www.pear-mouse.com

Flash Honkie
    Hey, I saw your history tracking applet, nice site.

I create an array of objects (no multi-dimensional array support) to get data out, but the actual functions on each button was what was giving me a hard time.

hmm...so, in essence, I can just get rid of each of the function on the buttons. I have removed the on press, on rollover yada yada stuff with one line of

#include "buttonFuntions.as"

and since the function is the same for all the buttons, I just did that instead. I'm going to play with your suggestion though, see where it gets me. Thank you.

- Jeremy