dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: in need of artist

in need of artist

help i suck at drawing.
    anyone want to draw for my platform game?
    if you are intrested email me at beaty_jt@yahoo.com
    here is the .swf right now, dont worry im gonna fix everything, i just havent gotten around to doing it yet.

controls:

"a" jump
    "s" shoot
    "d" fill up gas
    "z" stand still while aiming (you can aim in 8 dir using arrow keys)
    space flamethrower
    left/right move

hit down and "a" to go through top of platform.

i think thats it?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can draw, but am not too proficent at Flash yet. Most of my work is done in Photoshop and/or ImageReady. Having a Wacom Intuos 2 helps too.

sweet i like the style.

email me with some sketches of a hero and stuff like guns, ect.
    my email is beaty_jt@yahoo.com

i dont really have a storyline, title... or anything else like that, so if you have any ideas for that include them in your email. i guess the game takes place somewhere in the future maybe 20 years from now or something like that.

well anyway email me any ideas you have.

Originally posted by jtnw

i dont really have a storyline, title... or anything else like that, so if you have any ideas for that include them in your email. i guess the game takes place somewhere in the future maybe 20 years from now or something like that.

You need to have at least a storyline or some sort of clue what the game is going to be about before deciding on charactor design...you tell us what you want in a character and we will sketch it, we should work around you not the other way round, its your imagination we are wanting to put on paper...

idk... i suck at everything else besides scripting...

lets see...
    the year can be 2027
    i want the hero to be normal, not someone all futuristic (like samus from metroid), allthough im aware its in the future, but its only about 25 years ahead in time.
    SO FAR weapons would include handgun, machine gun, flamethrower, grenades, homing missles... and that morpher ray thingy from that xbox game that turns the enemys into chickens , im serious! lol! ill probably come up with more weapons.

a storyline... well i REALLY SUCK at coming up with things like that, i really dont care what it would be, so that i can leave up to whoever does the art.

the gameplay will be alot like [unsuitable link removed]

well again my email is beaty_jt@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Black_phoenix; 02-14-2003 at 11:36 PM.

anyone???

anyone still intrested, i havent heard from anyone yet.
    i would especcialy like to hear something from OblivionStudios about if he is gonna work on it or not.

there has to be someone who would like to work on a GREAT platform game! lol

bump

i have a storyline, kindof. you are a computer hacker and have to break into a building and hack a computer (i dont know why, that the one part of the storyline i havent thought of ) and it will have 2 modes, normal just get to the end, and stealth (anything you do could raise suspicion). any artist at all?!?!

Originally posted by jtnw
    there has to be someone who would like to work on a GREAT platform game! lol
    If someone here is interested, they will post or contact you outside FK - no need to spam.

Furthermore, note that we get many requests here and in the A+A forum from members asking for pro-bono work (i.e. illustrations, character development, background drawings, coloring etc)for their own projects. Be patient - most members have their own pet projects they are working on in their spare time and paid jobs to attend to that pay the bills

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

im just spamming it so it will get bumped to the front page so people can see it

People have seen it - you've brought it back 3 times already.

I'm sure you feel your thread is important -to you- but so is everyone else's here and you don't seem them spamming.

If someone is interested they will get in touch.

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

Unfortunately, both these boards and the Flash landscape in general are littered with people who had a "great idea" and expected everyone else to do their work for them.

As an avid gamer myself, I can honestly tell you that good graphics or a good engine will not necessarily make a good game - you need to give people a reason to want to play, and story plays a huge part in that. It might be worth reconsidering why you want to make a game, if you don't know what it is about. That said, the beauty of a program like Flash is that you can make a game by yourself, if you have a good idea.

If you're not good at things like drawing or scriptwriting, my best advice to you is to learn, not spam these boards. There are tons of great actionscripters out there - you will need something to set yourself apart if you want to make your "great idea" into a "great reality". Certainly you're familiar with the phrase "if you want something done right, do it yourself"?

Either that, or make a really cool concept and some really tight code to show what you can bring to the table, then come looking for help. Set a project plan, draft a design doc, and set some very tangible goals with deadlines. Do what it takes to turn your idea into a project, with meetable goals.

Remember too that often people bite off more than they can chew when first developing games in Flash - learn to walk before you run - if you can build up a reputation through simpler games that are fun and enjoyable, you will find it easier to find people to work with you, not to mention having a reusable code library which will make developing more complex games a more realistic feat.