dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: swf playback on old machines - help!

swf playback on old machines - help!

Hi,

I'm creating an e-flyer swf which includes jpgs and a sizeable piece of audio. Although playback is fine on faster machines, it is unsurprisingly running very slowly on older machines. I know there are probably several ways around this but I was wondering whether anyone had any advice or suggestions for effective methods of improving swf playback on older machines before I began! I have already optimized the sound and jpgs a considerable amount but should I try to reduce their file size even more?

I know these questions are probably really obvious so sorry and thanks in advance for any advice!

muted.
    ... the overall file size shouldn't affect performance all that much. You need to optimize animations (lower framerates) and don't use a lot of tweens/effects that will use a load of PCU resources (alpha changes to graphics).
    M2 //.. mutemuse // .. baseboard // .. lavertue // .. specs

Banned
    Or offer 2 versions, not to penalize the ones that have faster machines!

what portion of your swf is running slowly?

as with anything, old machines run things slower than new machines. flash is no exception. you are using flash because you want to use its bells and whistles, e.g., animation and sound. slower machines shouldn't have problems with the audio playback, but the animations will make them choke.

post the flyer and maybe we can give you some suggestions. good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to tweak it today then I'll post it up...

cheers!

Oh, sorry, pretty much the whole thing is chugging through on older machines, although it gets a lot worse when the jpgs within the mcs are being tweaned....