dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A new look. Opinions please.

A new look. Opinions please.

Ok, ive been working on a new look for my website. Whether or not it is any good is yet to be seen.

This is the original website:

http://newedge.port5.com

This is the new look/prototype/working idea/new thingy:

http://newedge.port5.com/new.htm

I'm going for that whitespace look... dont know if anyone likes it or not. Please comment on:

Cut and paste this list if yer lazy... (this relates to the new look)

Colour scheme:
    Font Choice:
    The pictures up the top:
    That 6 pointed star behind the "EDGE" part:

So yeah, and please compare to the original website... tell me honestly what you think of old vs new... I've shown a friend, and he thinks the original is better.

If you reply with something decent, you are a legend.

Cheers.
    the sig... its broken...

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    Colour scheme: good. 2 solid colours...good.

Font Choice: I think you're using too many fonts. Stick to 2 or 3 at the most...with so many fonts, it looks cluttered.

The pictures up the top: I was never really a fan of stock photos with "business people" hold a cell phone or look at a computer, but if you are going to use them, try to display in a more creative manner

That 6 pointed star behind the "EDGE" part: I don't really like it, I'd change it or find a way to "spice it up"
    Last edited by rafiki55; 01-31-2003 at 05:25 AM.

Originally posted by rafiki55
    Colour scheme: good. 2 solid colours...good.

Font Choice: I think you're using too many fonts. Stick to 2 or 3 at the most...with so many fonts, it looks cluttered.

The pictures up the top: I was never really a fan of stock photos with "business people" hold a cell phone or look at a computer, but if you are going to use them, try to display in a more creative manner

That 6 pointed star behind the "EDGE" part: I don't really like it, I'd change it or find a way to "spice it up"
    You seemed to confirm what i thought... i was pretty happy with the colour scheme, i thought i may have gone overboard on the fonts, i thought the pictures may have been stupid and i wasnt sure if the star fitted in. Thanks a bunch.

Oh, and any comments on the logo its self??? here is the new revised list.

Cut and paste this list if yer lazy... (this relates to the new look)

Colour scheme:
    Font Choice:
    The pictures up the top:
    That 6 pointed star behind the "EDGE" part:
    The logo itself:

Cheers all.
    the sig... its broken...

Right, i hate doing this, but ive made an effort to post to quite a few of the posts here, so help me out, yeah? Need more feedback. PLEAAAAAASE.
    the sig... its broken...

not sure if this is what other people are thinking but I like your current site a lot more, it's far more 'modern' and deals with negative space better.

my problems with the new design:

there's nothing about it that balances design wise. The feelign I get is of everything slipping off to the right, my eye isn't being lead over the page more thrown off it!

the logo is too cluttered with the pseudo 3d (which, personally, i hate) and the lines in front and the star thing behind. Way too much going on there, think about what you're trying to say with it, at the moment it says confusion to me. I like your old logo and font a lot more.

I agree that there are too many fonts, one of the hardest things in design is making different typefaces work together, most people stick to one or two at the most.

another thing that disturbs me about the 'box' area, in general with a layout you define 'gutters' areas around elements that you leave free, they help to define an element and create balance within the arrangement of elements as a whole. Your box here has things placed right up against the borders, such as the pictures, as well as things placed at different distances from the borders.

I know these may sound like little things but they really do make a difference, an unbalanced design often creates a 'bad' feeling in the viewer without them being able to expain it. Take a look at the current design you have, that design is pleasing to the eye in the sense that it balances pretty well.

As for the images at the top, I don't see the point to them, they're too small to be meaningful and if something has no purpose in a design, take it out. Same with the text to the right of the images, what's the point in telling the user where they are? They're right there! Say "welcome to new edge" if you want to (though I don't see the point in even that) but there's a large logo below that identifying the page.

You can use otherwise pointless elements to create a texture or feel for a design, but I don't think you've done that here.

hope that helps.

Last edited by aversion; 02-01-2003 at 11:04 AM.