A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: getURL + query string, server only ?

getURL + query string, server only ?

hi,
    i use some kind of queries within getURL like :
    getURL("toto.html?v1=tt&v2=uu","_blank");
    When i'm not running a server, these kind of requests only open "toto.html", not passing any variable to the file.
    so here's the quick question:
    do i need to run a server to pass variables to a file via getURL + query string ?

Thanks
    Quentin

no.. you don't need a server. but an important question is what you are trying to pass the data too.

do you have some javascript on the page "toto.html" that will pick up those variables? or are you trying to pass the variables to a flash movie held within "toto.html"

if you wish to do the latter then you need to have a bit of code in the html page that will bridge the gap between the html and the flash. unfortunatly the flash does not automatically pick up the variables from the URL alone. you need to build some javascript that will pass it over.

if this is so. one way of testing that your movies are working is to target your movie direct rather than the html page.

so instead of
    Code:
    getURL("toto.html?v1=tt&v2=uu","_blank");
    have
    Code:
    getURL("toto.swf?v1=tt&v2=uu","_blank");

as far as the javascript you need goes i don't have a clue. i suggest you search these forums and google for some code.

i'll have a look too and will post here again if i find anything

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    To the best of my knowledge you cannnot send a GET request when browsing locally... even with a local server you'll have to use the complete url (i.e. 127.0.0.1/toto.html?v1=tt). Locally defaults to file:///*