A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Am I Good Or What!

Linking to SWF's

Hello; there is an awesome website called http://www.eye4u.com [URL]
    I wanted my site to work like this one, so that each page is a flash, and they fill the screen at any resolution and when the page is resized. I couldn't figure it out, so instead of putting the flash files into html files, I just linked to them (i.e. get url - test.swf)
    and it works perfectly. I have never noticed an address that ended with .swf before. Is there anything wrong with doing this? It works like a charm.

have you tested it online or just remotely on your machine?

You cannot add meta tags or control the browser window.
    Try this:

http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/fillthewindow.html

Am I Good Or What!

YES I TESTED IT ONLINE - I made an htm called test.htm with a link to a flash called test.swf (in this SWF I wrote "IT WORKS!) I posted both to my website and typed in my address with the html extension 'test.htm', clicked on the link I made and it opens the swf in the same window, it fits to screen and resizes to fit the window when minimized, just like an exe movie...

linking to swf's - re: meta tags and browser window

Re: LINKING TO SWF's

I set it up like this: I created an htm page called test.htm (this is the page where the metatags go), and then inserted a link to an swf called works.swf (try it out and don't pick on me...I set this up while I was typing this for you to try...so yes it is crap...) From this point on you can link one swf to onother and they open to fill the screen at any resolution or window when minimised just like an exe movie. Regarding the border around the movie...I use this space in my movies, some of my graphics overlap the edge and go off the page....I like it. (My site is best viewed at 1280x1024 at the moment so I needed to find a way to fix it...and this seems to work perfectly)
    My website is graphic but the user can only navigate around the links and send me an email, so it doesn't require to much...but the flash works the same way as usual (I'll post my site address soon...almost ready...)

RE: Linking to SWF's - EXAMPLE

here is a sample for you to test

Link from an htm to an swf online

Cheers.

So what's the point? You can get the exact same effect by just publishing at 100%, and get the advantage of having an html page wrapped around your movie. SWF files were not made to be played straight from the server, and as estudioworks said, you can't control the browser, and your making visitors click just one more button to get to your site.

If you want to get rid of the border and scrollbars, just use code in the body tag.

<*BODY bgcolor="#000000" MARGINWIDTH="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" LEFTMARGIN="0" RIGHTMARGIN="0" TOPMARGIN="0" BOTTOMMARGIN="0" scroll= "no">

RE: Linking to SWF's - I ask why...

I fully appreciate what you are saying...

But try to imagine not knowing anything at all about code, actionscript or html and trying to create an amazing website...some of us don't need our little website to do alot and if the pages open fast and look amazing without the headache of all the scripting then it helps alot. The idea was to be able to create a website like this one...EYE4U ...very easily and quickly....that's all....without having to be able to do more than use the get URL function and create buttons.

I have been going through hell trying to make my website...which looks great, resize to fit any window. I need it to work yesterday...I can't write code of any kind to save myself, and your suggestion is something I would have to experiment with like any other tutorial to try to make it work for me.

Here is my site - ART-WEAR by FNOMNA - I taught myself to use flash, so don't laugh, as you can see, I make costumes and learning flash to produce a website was just one more thing to do. I was so keen to get the damn thing up that I neglected to learn as much as I should have about screen resolution before I designed it. It can only be viewed comfortably at 1280x1024; the flash files (all my own graphics and animations) are embedded in layers in dreamweaver htm&html files. This was the best I could do at the time - now I have rebuilt each page as a separate flash and want them to fill the screen at any res when opened like an exe...I will follow your instructions and try it your way...but I don't have much faith in my ability to understand where and how to use the code. All my site does is take you into my studio for a look, tell you how to find me or send me an email...that's it...

Ya know, I like your site. It's up and running, but you should start rebuilding it right away. Get some books about flash, and how to put movies together. Here's the problem. On your headpieces page, you must have 20 different movies playing, all at once. Pheww.... I have half a gig of ram and a 1Gig P3, and the longer I stayed on it, the louder my cooling fan got. I could hear it straining. You could build exactly what you have there, in one main swf file. Use loadMovie to populate your main movie with those individual swf files instead of adding them to your page like that. There are not many computers out there that will be able to keep up with your page, set up like that. And the code you would need to do it would be minimal.

Once you did that, then your main movie you would publish at 100% and it fills the window exactly, on any resolution. My monitor is set for 1280x1024, and I got a bottom scrollbar on your headpieces page. Imagine what it is on an 800x600.

dont worry about it too much, what you have is good, there are just better ways to do it.

It s a pretty tough task to get a web page to look good at different resolutions. you need to experiment with frames more and work with a more common resolution.

Any how you seem to be learning quikly so Im sure youll figure it out.
    www.treelinemedia.ca

Just to add something here. Linking directly to a .swf only functions in Explorer 4+. If the user is using Netscape, Opera or iCab, it would come up blank.

Plus, your webpage froze me. And had to re-boot before coming back to post here.

& btw the treehugger, how is it over in Whistler? good boarding? if you know anyone who knew Craig Kelly, send them my condolences, please.

dang just realised the site pays homage to him. good man.
    Last edited by bruixot; 02-01-2003 at 08:35 AM.

Ahhhh, whistler has been a bust this winter, not nearly enough snow. But lucky for me I have snowmobile so the snow is usually pretty good out back . But its also a bit of a mission.

Other than that life is good here. I am about to head for a day of sledding today, but again it overcast and kind of warm.

Later

Ian
    www.treelinemedia.ca