A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A method of self help

forever depreciated™ aaron.martone's Avatar

A method of self help

This may sound odd, but for those who are budding flash developers, I think I found a way (aside from buying books and what not) to learn Flash MX commands rather well.

Open Flash MX, Press SHIFT+F1 (Reference), open the INDEX on the left, and one by one click on each and READ!

I've been doing this and what makes it all sink in is that I am writing what I read into a notepad file. The process of both reading and writing (seeing and doing) makes remember not only that object easier, but you know expand your thinking process when a problem presents itself.

Like you can get a eureka moment if a problem exists, and since you remember better what you read, you have an increased chance of formulating an answer with code.

Not only that, but you should try the code out. Set aside some time to test the code you're a little iffy on, and if that doesn't work, do a google search on ACTIONSCRIPT and the keyword you're having problems with.

I'm a forgetful person, and I've been doing these steps and learning SO MUCH. Hopefully it'll work well for others too.
    (am)™ :: aaron.martone ::
    http://www.aaronmartone.com

"I see in layers; I think in ActionScript; Life is my animation and animation is my life.... oh, and I like corn dogs."

FK Newb Beater
    Whoa! Great Idea!

I wish you would have posted a little earlier though. I just spent $120 USD on books at amazon.com to learn more about ActionScript and OOP with ActonScript. I have a lot to catch up on and I know it.
    Maybe I'll do both!

Thanks for the tip! If you have any more, let us know.
    Just because you changed the code, doesn't mean it's yours

Most Recent Work:
    Commercial tanning beds website

Aint it time consuming? IS it worth?

forever depreciated™ aaron.martone's Avatar
    Well, short answer "yes".

You just start with the ACTIONS > MOVIE CONTROL > gotoAndPlay, read, write, and goto the next.

Basically you're about goin through EVERY command Flash MX has, so when it comes to being a thorough approach, it is by all means. You will get stumped a couple times on some of the commands, but then you just do a search on it.

This method comes from after reading 2- 500+ page books on Flash MX. Where one helped me understand the GUI and the other gave me an intro to ActionScript, it does not go into the complete gamut of ActionScript.

With this method, I am helping myself better REMEMBER (cause I found out that after reading the books, you forget unless you use the commands over and over, ie, nobody should forget gotoAndPlay(), etc)

I'm expanding my knowledge of commands that could better help me solve problems plus I'm learning new commands. It takes time yes, but I'm in it to learn AS inside and out. I don't want to be the person who constantly has to ask others for help, though it too is a great way to learn (good community here)
    (am)™ :: aaron.martone ::
    http://www.aaronmartone.com

"I see in layers; I think in ActionScript; Life is my animation and animation is my life.... oh, and I like corn dogs."