dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North Korea reactivates its nuclear facilities.

Señor member
    Originally posted by gdstudios
    I agree for once. The North Korea situation is more directly threatening to the world than the Iraq one.
    As indeed are their armed forces but Iraq offers the bonus of being of being a comparitively easy touch and also a great deal of oil.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Originally posted by jamble7000
    As indeed are their armed forces but Iraq offers the bonus of being of being a comparitively easy touch and also a great deal of oil.
    Precisely. There would need to be a pretty serious crisis for the US to turn its military attention to that region.

we're neck deep in Blair's war mongering whether we like it or not.

North Korea should really be top of "the list" I would have thought but the simple fact that they have a highly trained and well equiped army negates the possibility of a US/UK led attack on them.

I agree, Iraq is a problem, but not as great as North Korea is. Why couldn't we go in together? Honostly, who do you think would win? I dont think it would be much like last time, if US and UK went in, alot of people would follow, the two most powerful countries in the world (I think im correct on that ) if you go in with us, you get kiss ass points, it would be smart...or incite SK to invade NK.

Originally posted by Markp.com
    So the Ruski's tooled up the north?
    Yeah, part of the whole pre-coldwar, look at the fall of democracy to the big scary communists, era that the world went through.

E.

Originally posted by alty29
    I agree, Iraq is a problem, but not as great as North Korea is. Why couldn't we go in together? Honostly, who do you think would win? I dont think it would be much like last time, if US and UK went in, alot of people would follow, the two most powerful countries in the world (I think im correct on that ) if you go in with us, you get kiss ass points, it would be smart...or incite SK to invade NK.
    One at a time. Like I said, North Korea is acting foolishly and will be next in the war on terror. (I know I'll get flak for related the two...)

Señor member
    It would be lunacy to attempt an invasion of North Korea. Their army is massive,

(Military manpower - fit for military service:
    Definition Field Listing
    males age 15-49: 3,619,535 (2002 est.))

and add to that the remoteness of the area in terms of supply ships reaching it. It would be another shamles like Vietnam (or indeed the first Korean war). Stick to bullying the easy countries I reckon.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

"North Korea should really be top of "the list" I would have thought but the simple fact that they have a highly trained and well equiped army negates the possibility of a US/UK led attack on them."

Didn't stop us before. Of course, we would never invade N. Korea again if it came to blows.

The Chinese tooled up N Korea, not the Soviet Union.

Although I find North Korea's recent actions shocking and wreckless, at least their approach is a direct military confrontation instead of targeting innocents the way terrorists do. The possibility of Iraq passing weapons technology on to terrorist groups is real. Thus making them a more imperative threat than N Korea (since terrorists tend to target civilians).

Señor member
    Originally posted by indivision
    Didn't stop us before. Of course, we would never invade N. Korea again if it came to blows.

Although I find North Korea's recent actions shocking and wreckless, at least their approach is a direct military confrontation instead of targeting innocents the way terrorists do. The possibility of Iraq passing weapons technology on to terrorist groups is real. Thus making them a more imperative threat than N Korea (since terrorists tend to target civilians).
    Didn't the US also provide weapons in that particular spat? In fact, didn't the US (CIA) also train Bin Laden in order to fight the Russians in Afghanistan?
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

if US and UK went in, alot of people would follow, the two most powerful countries in the world (I think im correct on that )
    UK has a formidible military force but it's not one of the 2 strongest in the world by a long shot.

Very good point sir.

Originally posted by CVO Chris
    UK has a formidible military force but it's not one of the 2 strongest in the world by a long shot.
    who would be the strongest?

*goggleizes it*

Didn't the US also provide weapons in that particular spat? In fact, didn't the US (CIA) also train Bin Laden in order to fight the Russians in Afghanistan?
    No, they did not provide weapons in that spat. They provided American soldiers to liberate South Korea after it was invaded by the Communist North.

The US did not help Bin Laden directly but they did share support for Afghani forces against the Soviet Union.

from the article Jamble posted.

----------------------------------
    "First up on my itinerary was North Korea. It got just 150 western tourists last year and there's no way the government-run tourist agency lets you wander around on your own.

The underground in the North Korean capital is a sight itself
    The guide was with us from 7am to 11pm. Each day was museum, monument, farm, statue, dinner, bed; a publicity tour to show us how well communism works. But it was still obvious that most North Koreans lead a life of real banality and inconvenience.

Occasionally I got to speak someone in the street or in a museum, but many avoided us because they thought we were American. For Americans are always the bad guys in films there, and a lot of children were afraid of us."
    ----------------------------------

for any of you interested in world rankings, very interesting thread here

1. USA (without a doubt, by far the best army in the world, possibly the best army the world has ever seen so far. At 6-2-1, WDL against worthy opponents, Uncle Sam's Mean Green Killing Machine is a force to be rekoned with. Nobody spends $$ on our military like we rightfully, IMO, do. The best army, the best navy (by far), and the best air force all goes to us . We )
    2. Russia (hurting after it's fall 12 or so years ago, but still has a formidable arsenal, which gives it the advantage. Can slip to #3 real soon)
    3. UK (a decent army, a great Air Force, probably the #2 navy in the world, and some killer special forces (especially those Nepalese guys), they are still a potent power on the world scene, and I'm glad they are on our side)
    4. France (as much as I snicker about the French, they still have a decent military. Not that they have any hope of toppling the top 3 any time soon, but they are a solid #4. Solid all around, not to mention the rapists and murderers who make up the Foreign Legion)
    5. China (only for size alone. They still are way behind in military technology, and have a pathetic non-blue water navy. These guys have potential to be fierce, especially if they keep spending $ on their military)
    Last edited by alty29; 02-05-2003 at 10:39 PM.

i havent done any research myself on this but i think the list in the link is closer to the truth.

i did hear that north korea has the fourth largest army. perhaps more powerful than france?

i havent done any research myself on this but i think the list in the link is closer to the truth.

i did hear that north korea has the fourth largest army. perhaps more powerful than france?
    posted this in another thread, but it was closed...tell me your thoughts:

Since going by sheer number of troops is not an adequate indication of a country's military power, I created an index between number of soldiers and annual expenditure. I think this does provide us a good measure of a country's relative position because by dividing the total expenditures by the number of soldiers, we can determine how much money is invested in the average soldier, and by extension, how well trained and equipped an individual soldier is. Thus, we reconcile the issue of numbers vs. superior training/equipment (as long as we assume that the more money spent on every man, the higher the overall quality of the military.) So without further ado, here are the results (I used actual numbers from the 2002 World Fact Book: www.odci.gov/cia/publicat...s/gm.html)

Military Rankings, Top 10:

$$ (in billions)/# (of soldiers in millions)
    1. Israel: 8.8/1.5 = $58.60
    2. USA: 276.7/70.8 = $39.00
    3. France: 46.5/14 = $33.20
    4. England: 31.7/14.6 = $21.7 0
    5. Australia: 9.3/5.0 = $18.60
    6. Germany: 38.5/20.8 = $18.50
    7. Italy: 20.2/14.1 = $14.30
    8. Japan: 40.7/29.6 = $13.70
    9. Spain: 8.6/8.4 = $10.20
    10. Canada: 7.8/8.3 = $9.30

Other Notables:

12.8/14.2 = $9.00 (S. Korea)
    5.1/6.1 = $8.30 (N. Korea)
    9.7/18.8 = $5.10 (Iran)
    4.3/9.5 = $4.50(Argentina)
    8.1/19.2 = $4.20 (Turkey)
    13.4/48.8 = $2.70 (Brazil)
    1.3/6.1 = $2.10 (Iraq)
    1.8/11.5 = $1.50 (South Africa)
    4/27.2 = $1.40 (Mexico)
    2.5/36.9 = $0.60 (Pakistan)
    20/370 = $0.50 (China)
    12/285.6 = $0.40 (India)

Now just eyeballing these rankings, I concede that they don't fall perfectly into place from what we would imagine. For example, I'd be a lot more afraid of China than I would be of South Africa, eventhough South Africa spends more money per soldier. Nevertheless, while we can quibble about the exact order of the top 10 (I realize there are many intangible factors), I think we can at the very least agree that the countries listed in this top 10 merit top tier military rankings

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    It would be lunacy to attempt an invasion of North Korea. Their army is massive,

(Military manpower - fit for military service:
    Definition Field Listing
    males age 15-49: 3,619,535 (2002 est.))

and add to that the remoteness of the area in terms of supply ships reaching it. It would be another shamles like Vietnam (or indeed the first Korean war). Stick to bullying the easy countries I reckon.
    I don't see the US making another Vietnam-type mistake. If they go, they'll go well-armed and well-manned, something that Vietnam was severely lacking.

As for the military of N. Korea - there might be a lot of 'em, but armies march on their stomachs and they ain't got no food. Or oil, which is why they're turning on the atomic power stations in the first place.

It does seem to me that N. Korea wants a schoolyard scrap, but no one has the time to indulge, they are such little consequence. That is, of course, until they detonate the first warhead.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    I don't see the US making another Vietnam-type mistake. If they go, they'll go well-armed and well-manned, something that Vietnam was severely lacking.

As for the military of N. Korea - there might be a lot of 'em, but armies march on their stomachs and they ain't got no food. Or oil, which is why they're turning on the atomic power stations in the first place.

It does seem to me that N. Korea wants a schoolyard scrap, but no one has the time to indulge, they are such little consequence. That is, of course, until they detonate the first warhead.
    If they detonate a warhear, I honostly think they will have extreme hell to pay.

Colin Powell For President

I used to work for an organization in the DC area that dealt with plenty of US Intelligence agencies. We awarded grants to fascilitate research and development projects with the Former Soviet Union. I can tell you that, gone are the days of Vietnam-styler mistakes. Don't doubt for a second that the United States has an arsenal of weaponery that so far eclipses anyone elses, that they don't have to worry about being threaten by another country militarily for the forseeable future. None of what I worked on was classified (well some of it was). If only you knew the R & D projects that DARPA works on on a daily basis. Bottom line: If the USA decides something needs to be done about North Korea, they'll take care of North Korea. And they could do so without many casualties. EMP and RF weapons-the wave of the future my friends...

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    If they detonate a warhear, I honostly think they will have extreme hell to pay.

Adversely, I don't see anyone threatening sanctions against the US if they unilaterally decide that the nuclear deterrent should become the nuclear action.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting