A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do you like your own stuff when you look at it?

Harry Tuttle phantomflanflinger's Avatar

Do you like your own stuff when you look at it?

I don't, much. My clients do though. :-)

I suppose it's because whenever I look at my stuff all I see is the problem/former-problem areas, because they are the areas that need/needed my attention.

My clients only see the work I do when it's finished, or at least presentable, and they always like the way it looks, even if they ask for a few changes. Perhaps it's because: I can remember what a mess it was when I first started - that could be why I don't much like the look of it. Could be a first impressions thing.

Is this a universal thing amongst pro designers or am I speaking Voynich? Do you all spend a slack afternoon admiring your stuff? This doesn't mean I want you to show me your stuff, (uh-huh-huh-huh)I was just wondering how you feel when you look at it.
    We're all in it together

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    After I finish a project, I always come up with ideas on how it could have been better, how I could have coded it differently etc...

I don't sit around admiring my stuff though; I sit around watching other people sit around admiring my stuff...

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I look at my stuff way too much. But that's what you're supposed to do, as the designer. If you don't like it, you have to take that into account, but... step back, take a break, maybe for a day and then go back. If you still don't like it, then maybe some rework is due, but still, be sure to factor in your own over-viewing.

It's a real phenomenon.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Originally posted by gSOLO_01
    After I finish a project, I always come up with ideas on how it could have been better, how I could have coded it differently etc...
    That's why we (hopefully) have more than one customer!!

i think i can always do better clients like it but i expect more of myself

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    ahh the quest for perfection.

I think this happens with almost all my work, no matter what it is. I think it happends partly because we know to a great extent what is possible with the technology, as the clients don't usually. Sometimes this isn't true though. I find I notice the smallest things that most users won't even notice or think about.

Originally posted by rafiki55
    ahh the quest for perfection.

I think this happens with almost all my work, no matter what it is. I think it happends partly because we know to a great extent what is possible with the technology, as the clients don't usually. Sometimes this isn't true though. I find I notice the smallest things that most users won't even notice or think about.
    I ran into this problem a while back. Made a site demo so loaded in AS that I forgot to make some movement in front, and the customer was completely turned off. I kept saying things like, 'this recognizes that automatically', and they kept saying, 'I thought Flash would have more eye candy'.

Had to redo the front in the end, but it all worked out.

Yes, I think if I stop looking at it for a while and go back to it I'll get more of a clients-eye view of my stuff.

It's extremely useful for any designer to be able to look at your stuff the way a client does, this is what I'd like to be able to do.

I'll still often wish I'd made whoswe.com rather than my own stuff. But they'll feel that way about someone else's stuff, and so on.
    We're all in it together

Corporate Nose-Picker
    yeah it's too easy to impress clients, we can pee on a piece of paper and they'll love it. Then again, I'm dealing with mainly mom n pop stuff so the standards are different.
    I'm gradually starting to appreciate my work. It's hard though, sometimes you end up delivering something to the client that you wish you never had made, but it's too late, and the check's been written.

Best thing you can do is get away from you work, even if just for an hour, makes a big difference.
    Of course I'm the man for the job! What is the job, by the way?

I'd agree with the overall sentiment here. I find that if I leave something alone for a while, it will seem more "fresh" when I get back to it. I think that might be part of the problem. When a client sees it for the first time, it is a fresh, new design. But by the time it gets to them, we've been staring at it and agonizing over it for a bazillion (woohoo! invented a new number ) hours (all billable hopefully) and it is now old and tired to us.

Also, if you don't continually push yourself and think you can always do better, you'll tend to stagnate into the "same old" stuff. But, it is important to recognize the value of your own work to keep the old self-esteem up.

my $0.02,
    -monster.

the way i see it is if you start liking your own work, then youve reached your potential. That is why most of us cant stand deadlines, cause there is always something that we could do to make it better and time unfortunately constrains that process. So if you dont feel satisfied with your work when you give it to your clients, then that is a good thing...
    Last edited by webcorps; 02-08-2003 at 12:41 PM.

Originally posted by webcorps
    So if you dont feel satisfied with your work when you give it to your clients, then that is a good thing...
    Just so long as you don't let them in on the secret and manage to convince them that what they are priviledged to behold is the best website that has been offered since Eye4U (or any other respected design - your choice).

he he. very true, I guess what we portray to the client and what we really feel is always going to be at odds.

Here's a thing: if you get very drunk, you cannot think creatively. So in order to get a clients-eye view of your multimedia, you have to get plastered, then scrutinise it. All in the name of research and development of course.

I got hammered last night and I looked at my work and thought "wow, how do I do that?"

This wouldn't work with dope because you'd enjoy looking at a pencil.
    We're all in it together

LOL! I better do some r&d then. All in the name of progress, of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It really depends for me... Sometimes, the entire project goes along without a flaw and I am very happy with my work. In other situtations, I dont like what I see even if the client loves it... Also, sometimes, I get "stuck" with something awkward, and really get pi**ed off with it (thus, dont like it)....

Mikhail

Shameless Newstoday Plug
    I think most people enjoy their stuff working in a small firm. When you work in a big firm though, you don't get to be hugely creative, IMO, as you tend to be far more conservative (obviously there are exceptions). As for my own design, well its a mixed bag. Some of my work in Uni kills the competition, and some of it I'm very ashamed to call my own. As someone else said, it's about deadline, how we can do so much more had we alloted the time.

<<< Hopefully less of an a**.

Originally posted by phantomflanflinger
    Here's a thing: if you get very drunk, you cannot think creatively. So in order to get a clients-eye view of your multimedia, you have to get plastered, then scrutinise it. All in the name of research and development of course.
    Now that's research I can get comfortable with.

Originally posted by teow
    I think most people enjoy their stuff working in a small firm. When you work in a big firm though, you don't get to be hugely creative, IMO, as you tend to be far more conservative (obviously there are exceptions). As for my own design, well its a mixed bag. Some of my work in Uni kills the competition, and some of it I'm very ashamed to call my own. As someone else said, it's about deadline, how we can do so much more had we alloted the time.
    ...So very, very true...