A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pre-loading multiple .swf files

Is there a way to pre-load multiple .swf files? Obviously one can build a loader to preloader for a single movie, but is there a way to preload other .swf files into cache? HELP!!!

Firmly Fastened to the Milk Sac of Misanthropy
    Is this the effect you're looking for?

http://www.actionscripts.org/tutoria...er/index.shtml

Sem

Cheers!

Thanks Sem... that's a great site!

This method might be very cumbersome in my case. Because this demands that each .swf file be loaded into a different level it means a couple things:

a) There are over 50 .swf files I'm working with. That means changing loadmovie commands all over the place.

b) For every loadmovie command there will be a ridiculous number of unloads necessary to keep the composition in order.

Any other methods for doing this? or am I just stuck with learning a hard lesson?

ActionScript.org
    Have you seen the sequential preloader which I made to superseed that tutorial? http://www.actionscripts.org/forums/...?threadid=2790 it's just open source but the source is commented ... it doesn't require any modifictaions to the loaded movies and each movie is loaded into an MC instead...

Source Files

Thanks Jesse... unfortunately the .fla file will not open. If you could send me an example, that would be great.

zprawl@sympatico.ca

Cheers

ActionScript.org
    ahh ok I sent it again but the original should work fine.

Jesse's Tutorials

Hi there. I have been looking at Jesse's preloading tutorials for so long now I am beginning to get dizzy, but no matter what I try, I can't seem to get this simple concept to work.
    I have a "splash" movie with a preloader that, at the end of the movie has a "get url" action that loads a html page with another .swf movie that is a menu~ how can I preload the menu movie, so that it is in the browser's cache, along with the "splash" .swf without the menu showing as it loads?
    Thank you so much in advance
    ali

ActionScript.org
    Here's the source for the new version:
    http://www.actionscripts.org/showMovie.php?id=46
    it doesn't work embedded in that page because my PHP movies section is still a little buggy but the source works.

Jesse, I've been trying to use your code as well, but it never seems to work consistently. Whenever I load it with a fresh cache, it loads fine, but sometimes when the page is refreshed (to simulate someone coming back to the page), the movie will only load 2 of the images rather than the usual 3.

Any ideas?
    -
    Jake

Just a few things that might help:

Always load movies into empty movie clips, not levels - way easier to control.

I have sites with sort of a slide show that loads each slide one after the other. I have the current slide show while the next slide is loading. I just put the loading slide behind the background so it's not visible. It's simply hidden behind a block of color. The cache works perfectly. It can even load a portion of a movie, unload that movie, and when that movie is loaded once again it only needs to load the portion that wasn't loaded - it picks up where it left off.

that's exactly what I want to do. (well, at least pretty close)

http://www.orangeproject.de

if you go to this site and view the pictures, you can see what I'm trying to achieve. I want to have about 10 images load sequentially in the background, while only showing the picture that the user selects from the interface.

each little square button has a loading animation in it until it is loaded into the cache, then it is solid and the user knows that it is preloaded and they can select it.

then after they have viewed it, it changes its color so you can see that it has been viewed already.

I'm still preconceptualizing this, and I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas before I get started. I'll keep coming back to let you all know how it is going and then I'll give the code when I'm finished if anybody is interested in helping out a bit.

Thanks!
    -
    Jake