A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: E Learning Pros, where are you?

E Learning Pros, where are you?

Anyone out there involved in the e learning business? I would love to exchange thoughts with anyone out there on Flash e learning topics such as SCORM, AICC compliance, and LMSs. I beleive this is a field that is largely overlooked and poised to be one of Flashes major niche markets as compliance to these standards becomes more of a reality than an ideal.

Well I'm programming a major e-learning site right now, I agree that it has huge potential. The possibilities are endless..

i agree that the e-learning market for flash is definitely a huge resource but i'm not so sure it's overlooked by everyone.

it certainly seems as though not many people on flashkit work in the e-learning industry, but it seems safe to say that of a lot of flash-only jobs in the market right now are in the e-learning industry.

i think we'll see more books and press about flash/e-learning as well...should be interesting...i start my new job next tuesday developing flash-based e-learning for the u.s. military, so i'll have to pay attention to the new accesbilities and compliance rules as well..

You are absolutely correct, i should have phrased it in relation to the folks on flashkit. But anyways congratulations on your new job! I also work for a military contractor, and find the work challenging (as far as compliance is concerned) but also fun with all the new technologies that the government is willing to implement.

I'm involved with Flash and Authorware e-learning from a localization and language translation standpoint. I've worked as an engineer on several projects. I normally only see them once they are completed and ready for translation.. My job is to "reverse engineer" the apps. and then re-engineer them in another language, such as Korean. However, during this project I've learned a A LOT about Flash as an e-learning tool.

I think there is a HUGE market out there for Flash based e-learning tools. Maybe Flashkit should dedicate a Messgeboard area to the topic?

I think they should too, cause I dont know about you guys, but when Im having problems there really is no where I can go to for assistance. Especially with some of the more troubling issues such as sending scorm to a particular LMS - especially in light of the fact the the LMS companies dont have any demos out there to test interactions. Or converting legacy authoring tools like mandarin and more current tools like toolbook over to authorware and flash - which I admit is not a straightforward conversion, but if there was only a way to decompile them while at least illustrating some of the inner logic would be cool, but alas i have to rebuild from scratch like the monkey I am.

Toolbook and Flash

I'm working on a CBT that's done in Toolbook- (Don't blame me, I didn't design it) My question is this:

Right now the navigation is horrendous and is controled through a massively long vertical listbox. I want to replace this with a groovy collapsable flash menu.

How can I link my flash buttons to the page hyperlinks within the book?

Thanks!

Joe

despite the release of authorware 7, i strongly believe that flash will be the leading content delivery tool for elearning in the near future. macromedia could certainly secure this migration by including all the SCORM and AICC hooks it has developed for AW into Flash. we are doing all our elearning with flash now (used AW for 5 years prior), but do not use any of those standards - that seems to be a big thing for you military elearners (and it seems like 70% of elearning is for the military).

this is a huge niche for flash, and there will continue to be more and more questions relating to all of these compliance issues. PAlexC and i approached starkey about starting an elearning forum here but were shot down (and his reasons were valid).

erova is right, there aren't a lot of us here at FK - but lot's of all flash job openings are for elearning .... including the one on my team...
    http://career.pereless.com/index.cfm...75022&JID=1994

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Originally posted by erova
    i start my new job next tuesday developing flash-based e-learning for the u.s. military, so i'll have to pay attention to the new accesbilities and compliance rules as well..
    quotes like this are kinda funny when an old thread comes back to life...

ahhh i was sooooooo innocent back then...

speaking of e-learning forums i'd be interested to know what some of those points were...i wouldn't mind having a consistent resource where we could find stuff and hide from the rest of the world...

Seems that e-learning is becoming a good market, i guess it has a real benefit to companies in terms opf getting specific messages across, or there do seem to be quite a few subscription services offering a broader level of content.

Would be interested if anyone has any links to issues re:
    "SCORM, AICC compliance, and LMSs"
    Im still feeling my way at the moment and it would be good for me to understand these terms better.