A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy it?

Should I buy it?

My grandfather just died on Friday, and I got 5000$ (it may be more then that, but I looked at his will a few years back, so im at least getting that much)

all the adult people said to put it in a CD (something like that) and let it mature, so when I am in college, and after I graduate, I will have money to help me get on my feet.

I however think I should buy an ibook for 1000. and put the rest in the CD thing, what do you guys think I should do?

Comes down to needs and wants.

Most likely you don't need an ibook as much as you want it.

If you have a good computer that you can develop on....a laptop isn't neccessary.

I'd put it into a CD....or some other fund that will mature at a secure rate.

Clif

my condolences.

Originally posted by clifgriffin
    Comes down to needs and wants.

Most likely you don't need an ibook as much as you want it.

If you have a good computer that you can develop on....a laptop isn't neccessary.

I'd put it into a CD....or some other fund that will mature at a secure rate.

Clif

yeah, my computer is pretty quick, and I dont need an ibook...but I really want it

thanks av.

If you're into web design..you might consider investing the 1000 in software.

You'll probably be able to make it up fairly quickly. Heck..just one job could pay you back.

Clif

johnhadtobanme-myfault . You won this time john, next time ill hit the button. GMF
    sorry to hear about the bad news alty. hope you and your family will come through the tough period.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss, alty

Get the ibook and invest the rest - I'm sure your Grandad would want you to have fun and be sensible.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    Sorry for your loss, alty

Get the ibook and invest the rest - I'm sure your Grandad would want you to have fun and be sensible.
    thats what I want to do, not sure if im allowed.

and im fine about my grandpa, im used to people dying

my condolences to you and your family alty.

I'm with the crowd that's going to state it a little differently.

Take 4k, and put it into the CD. Take 1K, and put it into savings... yep, open a savings account if you don't have one.

Then wait.

the iBooks are stuck at the moment at 800mhz, and that's only a g3 processor. not a g4. and having only 1024x768 is ok, but you'll going to need software - more money - and let's be honest. Why do you want an iBook other than to just have it?

I'm not being mean... I'm just asking. And I Think that the money, even that 1k, can be spent wiser. I say do the above, and wait.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    my condolences to you and your family alty.

I'm with the crowd that's going to state it a little differently.

Take 4k, and put it into the CD. Take 1K, and put it into savings... yep, open a savings account if you don't have one.

Then wait.

the iBooks are stuck at the moment at 800mhz, and that's only a g3 processor. not a g4. and having only 1024x768 is ok, but you'll going to need software - more money - and let's be honest. Why do you want an iBook other than to just have it?

I'm not being mean... I'm just asking. And I Think that the money, even that 1k, can be spent wiser. I say do the above, and wait.

thats exactly what my sister said...and that there may be a time when I actually need the money..

Sorry about that Alty ...

If I was you, i'd buy an i-buddie (PC laptop) no macintosh stuff... I run Mandrake, and XP pro on mine, and it's awesome. Going down the road using the internet (wireless).

It's one of the best things i've ever had.. or you could just put it in the bank
    TemplateFreak.com- Pre-Designed Online Identities

Originally posted by Jamez Brown
    Sorry about that Alty ...

If I was you, i'd buy an i-buddie (PC laptop) no macintosh stuff... I run Mandrake, and XP pro on mine, and it's awesome. Going down the road using the internet (wireless).

It's one of the best things i've ever had.. or you could just put it in the bank

who makes/sells i-buddies?

errr, to be honest I don't know . This is mine: http://www.computercentral.ca/desknote_performance.htm
    TemplateFreak.com- Pre-Designed Online Identities

it is unlikely that you "need" and ibook. It is highly likely that you will need the money either during or after college.

Take some responsibility and invest / save the money. If you blow it then you will be relying on your parents for handouts which is unfair as they could be using it for items that they want.

They've supported you financially for all of your life, time for you to look toward standing on your own two feet.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

...unless of course your parents are pig stinking rich and allready own everything they could ever want
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

Originally posted by swampy
    They've supported you financially for all of your life, time for you to look toward standing on your own two feet.
    are you suggesting he pay rent? I think that's a great idea

Originally posted by aversion
    are you suggesting he pay rent? I think that's a great idea
    hey, what if I pay you rent av, and you let me live in ol' blighty with you

save the money alty. be nice, and pay a couple of bills in the house. that show of responsibility might take you further than you think

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    hey, what if I pay you rent av, and you let me live in ol' blighty with you
    rent's expensive here, I could rent you a closet?

viva las vegas !!!!

great idea! You could double youre money in no time!! Stuff the CD!