dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What should I do?

What should I do?

OK, heres the problem. Ive been working for several months at this web design firm, its gr8, I love it, only thing is, I should be earning more money than Im on and I commute for nearly 5-6 hours a day (depending on traffic).

My company's Manager (girl above me) is pretty much responsible for evthing we do including speaking to clients, sorting out budgets, clients aswell as hiring/firing ppl. Now shes just got pregnant and has unofficially asked me if Ill take over. Obviously this'll be a salary change and more responsibility for me. Though...

Ive seen a couple of web design sites that are advertising for designers.

So what should I do? Should I stay with the current job and take on a more responsible role (still creating design - though less obviously) or should I send my CV off to other companies nearer home for another position.

Take the job now, while looking for other work.

Then tell them you are leaving... they may ask you more, you have a new job to fall back on if they aren't paying enough... ta da!

I agree.

You can't bet on a new job..but you have a new/better job lined up right now.

Take it...and then keep looking.

Clif

Limmy.com "What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do? What would you do?"

Originally posted by Markp.com
    Limmy.com "What would you do? What would you......"
    markp

take the bump in pay and responsibility - it'll look great on your resume, and even though the lady is pregnant, she won't be forever. Start to network, internally while also looking for other jobs since you seem unhappy, and use the fact that you were requested to make that jump in position by your superior as a good thing to tell the other prospective clients/companies that might hire you.

But keep your eye out for other possibilities as well.

Congrats

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar

Re: What should I do?

Originally posted by rugbystud
    My company's Manager (girl above me) is pretty
    Can you only think of one thing?

Sounds good to take the oppo now. You can look around anytime. Just make sure that this unofficial chat becomes official before she takes off for maternity leave and some HR know-nothing appoints another, less deserving, into the position.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

mullet king
    Take the job then hire me ruggers!!!

what McP said.

if anything it gives you more bargaining power. I got 6k added to my salary recently after telling my boss I'd got a new job.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

Originally posted by swampy
    if anything it gives you more bargaining power. I got 6k added to my salary recently after telling my boss I'd got a new job.
    Eh? I dont understand! U got a new job at the same place? U got a new job at another place? Huh?

to clarify. I got a new job at the old place just after I went to an interview at a new place. The new place offerred me a job that paid more than the new place. I went to the boss at the old place and told him that I was leaving because the new place had offered me more money. He matched the money and I stayed.
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

Ok, gotcha!

that is a good way to get a bump in pay, but I wouldn't try it if you dont actually have another Job offer, could backfire

Originally posted by RCweidler
    that is a good way to get a bump in pay, but I wouldn't try it if you dont actually have another Job offer, could backfire
    Mmm hmm... great advice there...

Take the pay rise and more senior position and move closer to work, who wants to commute that much!?

E.