A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: scrollPAINs ... please hlp me (advanced)

scrollPAINs ... please hlp me (advanced)

Trying to make a scrollable "content area" that displayes user data from client database via XML. After parsing, I create an empty movie clip and attach to it [2-N) text boxes via a loop. I then attempt to place this created clip into a scrollPane with setScrollContent(); Everything seems to work except that the new clip is not masked by the scrollPane. It scrolls and is in the right spot, but the text floats above everthing in the movie. Is this a level problem (due to dynamic stuff) or what. HELP ME!!!!!

p.s. The clip being generated is from a self made "content" component. It works fine by itself (ie no scrollPane). Also there will be images with each txtbox if that matters. Thanks

Banned
    Have you tried this online? Do you have the latest browser plugin player build?
    If it works online then you need to upgrade your test player within the application itself.

It does the same thing online, im afraid. Ill check my player but 99.9 percent sure its updated. Also, a strange "scroll bar back area" gery bar now appears at (0,0) and wont go away. hmmmm

OK, how wrong i was. Updating the player fixed it ... except the little gry bar is still there. Thanks man. Cna't belive I wasted so much time trouble shooting. Any ideas about the grey bar.

Banned
    A link to see what you mean exactly?

link:
    http://sites.slicker.com/charlestonrealestate/

grey bar visible. cat1 sub cat 1 has some temp data in it
    thanks much for your help

Banned
    You mean the scrollbar's scrolltrack, or some grey bar in the text itself?

if i'm understanding you right, looks like you have a scroll bar attached and set to auto. It makes itself visible when your content is greater than the space allotted for text. It disappears when i choose any other category, and shows back up if i go to Cat 1, sub 1

-myk

PS - i didnt see anything unusual... did you, Oldnewb?

Banned
    Unless he just wants to blend the scrolltrack's background to white?

Im talking about the grey bar that appears in the top left of the movie. There is no associated object in the authoring tool. It just appears there when I run the movie. It wasent there before I added the scroll pane. Now it appears from no where. I am not attaching bars or pains dynanicly anywhere im my code(yet).

okay, i think i get it.. The scroll pane does this automatically.. It wont show in the authoring envrionment, unless the content is bigger than the dimensions of the scroll pane.

since your text is larger, the scroll pane... well... scrolls..
    -myk

perhaps I have some old cache or something. If you cant see what i mean after looking one more time, ill assume its just not there on your cpu.

there is a grey bar positioned to the top left of the nav bar. (0,0 on stage) it looks like a scroll track with no buttons and no bar. Infact, the scroll track is the only symbol im my library that could possibly cause it. as before, it isnt there in source and can't be being attached through any of my code.

okay, i see what you mean now... i thought that was part of your design...
    can you post an FLA?

thanks,
    -myk
    -moo???

Banned
    I see it, but don't have a clue as to where it's coming from.

What's this self made "content" component, you've been talking about?
    Suggest, for the sake of testing, you set the scrollContent to some other content mc, to see if that bar will appear. Could it be brought in by that content component?

the custom component just takes some predefined XML data objects off the server, creates an empty clip, and attaches text boxes down the line. I double checked for scroll refrerences and found none.

I changed the color of the scrollTrack skin in the library and both the panes scroller and the mystery scroller changed with it. It is clearly the same symbol.

I have a theroy that, b/c u can transform the scroll pane without distorting the scroll bar, they probably need some "sizer" placed on the stage as a reference. Why they would put it at (0,0) and make it visible i dont know. I am going to pour through scrollPane source for a bit and see if I find anything.
    note: that thing appered after publishing the first time after dragging the scrollpane from component list.

Banned
    That's never happened to me even when creating a scroll content mc at runtime. Can't you just try it with another regular content mc linked in the Library?

i will try that, but notice that the bar is there from the begining of the movie, like the scroll pane. The clip loaded in is not defined initaly. Not untill you click the button that the mc_content movie even exists. So i dont think the problem has anything to do with loading into the pane. Perhaps leaving the scroll content undefined initaly is causing the issue.
    I have to go home now but I will work some more on the issue and If i discover any causes or come up with more specific info ill post.
    (im sure i will tomorrow)
    thanks alot for help today don't forget you solved my first problem