A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A dynamic expanding menu

Question

Ok, i will try to explain this clearly, but it could be tough

I'm looking to create a menu that "expands" when you click on one of the headers to reveal subheaders underneath it. If you click on the header again, the subheaders would collapse back into the header.

Example:

TOPIC1
    TOPIC2
    TOPIC3
    TOPIC4

((click on TOPIC2))
    now shows:

TOPIC1
    TOPIC2
    -SubTopic1
    -SubTopic2
    -SubTopic3
    TOPIC3
    TOPIC4

(notice the TOPIC3 and TOPIC4 will have to "shift down" in order to make room for the expanding SupTopics)

If TOPIC2 is clicked upon again, the menu will return to its original state of:

TOPIC1
    TOPIC2
    TOPIC3
    TOPIC4

I have a fairly decent knowledge of Flash, and understand that they're going to have to be buttons, and I have also investigated other "expanding menu" options, just none seem to fulfill the requirements that this project requires.

Thanks a bunch in advance if you can help,
    -Dan

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Just use movie clips to make the different states of the menu. that way they can be moved around and will work independent. Just use the if Statement to check the frame Number for your actions. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Thumbs up

I'll give that a shot, thanks!