dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: screenshots on OS 9

screenshots on OS 9

I've never had trouble taking screenshots on my Mac (Ctrl-Shift-Apple 4). They have always showed up on my harddrive as 'Picture 1' 'Picture 2', etc. They are .pict files and by default they open in Picture Viewer.

I wanted them to open in Photoshop, so I deleted Picture Viewer + preferences.

Now, they open on the clipboard and I can't resave them as anything or use them for anything.

How can I get them to open in a useful way? (In Photoshop 7 for example) or even, how can I get them to save to my desktop so that I can open them in the program I want to?

Help!
    :gt:

sorry about the 3 posts (accident)...

my browser is very slow today.

I realize that using 'ctrl' for the screenshot is what brought the image up on the clipboard.

But is there a way for the screenshot to be taken as a tiff or jpg automatically? (Or for the default be that it is dropped onto the desktop?)
    :gt:

Ok, first off; deleting Picture Viewer was pointless; it doesn't change images to open in Photoshop instead just gets rid of quite a useful little program.
    You should change the settings in the File Exchange control panel for Pict files if you want them to open in Photoshop instead.

Secondly, the keyboard shortcuts are:

Apple-shift-3 = take screenshot and save as pict in the root of your HD

Apple-shift-4 = drag an area to take a screenshot of and save as pict in the root of your HD

Apple-shift-ctrl-3 = take screenshot and save to clipboard

Apple-shift-ctrl-4 = drag an area to take a screenshot and save to clipboard

If you want to customise this at all (i.e. change the file format), you'll need a third party utility like Snapz Pro from Ambrosia (www.versiontracker.com).
    Sam

Kult Factory Canada andrewBwinter's Avatar

oh jeez...

the shortcuts on the ketboard for screen captures are brilliant.
    works in OS X .1.5 as well.
    didn't even have a clue.
    is there a link to other common keyboard shortcuts?
    thanks in advance.
    --
    a thousand camels
    abw

Type "shortcuts" into Help Viewer and you'll get a list of all sorts of useful things.
    Sam